166 Glebe Point
The Development Associate is responsible for supporting Room to Read’s Australian networks. This position directly reports to the Senior Development Director, Asia Pacific and works closely with the Major Gifts Manager based in the Development office in Glebe, Australia. This is full time role and a key part of our global development team.
The Development Associate is responsible for raising a minimum of AUD 750,000 annually for Room to Read from key stakeholder supporter groups and will be highly focused on developing relationships, renewing and upgrading annual gifts and providing strong customer service to our donors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Overall Fundraising Objectives:
- Raise a minimum of $750,000 with a stretch goal of $1,000,000 per year by managing a portfolio of major donors and supporting other annual fund activities including: community fundraising initiatives; event fundraising (Fastest Executive Race); Workplace Giving; as well as unmanaged donors within the Annual Fund.
- Using sound fundraising principles, develop donor engagement and cultivation strategies that utilize the expertise of key Room to Read staff and leadership in deepening donors’ commitment to the organisation. Build long-term relationships with donors and prospects, identifying, cultivating, and stewarding their interests.
- Conduct initial exploratory meetings with prospects to determine capacity and interest in supporting Room to Read at the major gift level. As appropriate, take the lead on new fundraising opportunities in the Australian market.
- Manage key fundraising initiatives including at least one annual special event, community fundraising initiatives and workplace giving.
- Support of signature events including the Sydney Wine Gala, as required.
Donor / Relationship Management:
- Relationship management of a portfolio of major donors contributing $5-$50K+ per annum across both individuals and family foundations, with a particular focus on corporate partnerships.
- Manage peer to peer fundraising processes including managing relationships with fundraisers and associated stewardship.
- Coordination of donation thank you notes, welcome process and solicitation mailings.
- Maintain Salesforce database as it relates to the role.
- Research and development of a major gifts pipeline tracker, conducting initial outreach to prospects as required.
Supporting Community Fundraising Events:
- Serve as the primary contact for community fundraisers across Australia. Strategize with them on their fundraising goal, leverage their network and existing resources to maximize outputs to benefit Room to Read.
- Collaborate with other Development team members and Room to Read’s volunteer network to maximize opportunities for corporate, community, student, and other giving channels.
- Manage production and distribution of Australian donor communications.
- Oversee national social media pages.
- Update Australia landing page and continually identify ways to make page engaging, informative and consistent with rest of website style.
Administration / Office Management
- Respond to inquiries from stakeholders that have contacted Room to Read through various outlets.
- Support the work of the Senior Development Director as required, including: managing high level events and senior leadership engagements in the region, regional business planning, income tracking and forecasting, proposal development, and reporting.
- Ad hoc admin tasks including travel bookings and taking minutes at meetings as needed.
- Manage collateral inventory.
- Support office volunteers members through supervision of administrative tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years general work experience in fundraising and event management.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office .
- Experience working with databases, specifically Salesforce.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with volunteers and diverse groups of people.
- Proven track record of achieving results.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Legally eligible to work in Australia; no sponsorship provided.
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organisation that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead.
- Bookkeeping/accounting knowledge.
- Experience in working for a global organization.
Room to Read offers competitive compensation, including a base salary and superannuation. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office - Australia - Sydney
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Minimum Education Required