Details: Depending on experience
The Westchester Children’s Association (WCA) is a small, 104-year old, nonprofit agency dedicated to improving the lives of Westchester’s children by shaping policies and programs to meet their needs, and by keeping the well-being of Westchester's children at the top of the public agenda. The Communications Manager should demonstrate an interest in the WCA’s mission, as the Manager’s duties are vital to the agency’s daily operations, particularly as it pertains to publicizing WCA’s events and advocacy efforts across various digital, print and media platforms.
An ideal candidate for this position will be a team player who enjoys working with a diverse group of people and has a commitment to social justice and racial equity. We are seeking someone who is a self-starter, and exhibits meticulous attention to detail and organization while demonstrating the ability to manage multiple tasks in an efficient and effective manner. Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work independently are required. Refer to the list below for additional required duties and preferred skills.
- Develop and oversee daily implementation of the agency’s communications strategy and public relations plan.
- Work directly with staff, board members and community partners on assessing matters relevant to children and youth in Westchester and determine how WCA should publically present itself on various current events and legislation affecting kids.
- Take the lead on designing advertisement and education materials for the community on the WCA website, through “email blasts,” and across other media forums.
- Streamline organization’s external appearance and develop strategies for branding, outreach, and maintaining an online presence.
- Keep the public informed of staff projects, community partnerships, and events pertinent to children’s issues.
- Provide content to WCA’s social media channels on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Advertise and market advocacy efforts and events. Responsibilities include live-tweeting and taking photographs.
- Work in partnership with Director of Development to create marketing and communications strategies for ongoing campaigns (i.e. monthly giving campaign, WC4K, etc.), direct mail appeals, and events.
- Maintain website and social media channels, providing content & updates as needed
- Deploy online and offline communication tools, including social media and print media to keep stakeholders and community members informed and engaged.
- Monitors and reports on website statistics and social media analytics.
- Produce quarterly newsletter, annual report, and other publications
- Assist in management of media relations, which may include tasks such as drafting press releases, op-eds, and media advisories, scheduling media interviews, coordinating media inquiries, and maintaining media lists.
- Contribute to WCA’s various blogs and bulletins
- Assist in coordination and execution of communications strategy for all advocacy efforts
- Manage Salsa Engage database and oversee emails, targeted actions, fundraising forms, and petitions
- Act as liaison to graphic designer, PR consultants, printers and others as needed
- Oversee and manage organization’s communications calendar
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Social media experience in multiple platforms is a MUST.
- Experience in using social media management platforms such as Buffer or Hootsuite.
- Demonstrates the ability to distill complex ideas and data into clear, concise, engaging and accessible language that is grammatically correct.
- Facility with Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience in WordPress or another website content management system
- Facility with Google Analytics
- Exhibits willingness and ability to learn new skills and computer applications (e.g. graphic design tools, DonorPro, Salsa)
PREFERRED OR DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency with graphic design software such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, MS Publisher and/or Canva
- Experience in photography, video editing, and/or podcasts.
- Proficiency in Spanish
Comprehensive benefits package including health insurance and 403B plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Email resume, cover letter, and a one page writing sample to Jordana Lorenzo, JLorenzo@wca4kids.org. Please include links to pertinent blogs or online portfolios.
- Include Communications Manager in the subject line of your email
- No phone calls please