Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice - Livestock
The Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice (Livestock) is a member of the Natural Resources & Agroecology Team. They will be responsible for working under the supervision of the Manager of Sustainable Agriculture at Duke Farms on the maintenance of the livestock farming operation. The individual will actively contribute to the implementation of Duke Farms multi-faceted agriculture program, including the rotationally grazed beef herd, annual crops, perennial crops, innovative cover crop/green manure practices, on site compost production, and marketing through our own farm to table market and may be called upon to support other aspects of the farm as needed.
The Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice will be required to reside at Duke Farms, as a condition of his/her employment, in provided housing subject to the Duke Farms Housing Protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- All aspects of farm work, in all extremes of weather, including, but not limited to: mowing, day-to-day
livestock care (beef cattle), fieldwork, haying, harvest, paddock layout, fencing installation and
maintenance, and marketing;
- Assist with record keeping of pertinent information related to livestock care, and pasture and field
maintenance using appropriate software (CattleMax);
- Coordinate with other DF staff as needed to address necessary maintenance of farm facilities,
equipment and machinery.
- Other related work as required.
- At least one year of experience in a farming operation is required, preferably at a sustainable
- Successful completion of at least one year of course work in farming practices, including livestock, is
- Competent and familiar with most farm machinery, tractors, and implements or the ability and
willingness to learn from seasoned professional Duke Farms on staff;
- Experience with beef cattle preferred, or willingness to learn all aspects of day-to-day care;
- Ability to communicate to the general public the various aspects of the farming operation;
- Able to traverse the 2700+ acre Duke Farm’s property as well as travel to other locations;
- Willing to work indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions;
- Willing to work outside of traditional business hours, including weekends, evenings and occasional
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your last name followed by “Sustainable Agriculture Apprentice-Livestock” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until November 1, 2018.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.