The Miami Foundation builds the philanthropic, civic, and leadership backbone for Greater Miami. Since 1967, the Foundation has invested $485 million to strengthen our community with partnerships and contributions from more than 1000 fundholders and 35,000 donors. The Miami Foundation, which currently manages over $350 million in assets, mobilizes donors, nonprofits, leaders, and locals to set a bold vision for our community's future and to invest in a stronger, more equitable, more resilient Greater Miami.
The Staff Accountant will join a highly effective finance team of six members. This position requires a detail oriented, experienced finance professional who will provide accounting support for a high transaction and fast paced environment. The primary functions include preparing and reviewing accounting entries, reconciliation of accounts, preparing and verifying journal entries, and reviewing weekly payables and receivables. Among other duties, the staff accountant will assist with weekly transactions, monthly closings, account analysis and general administrative support as needed. The candidate will work collaboratively with the development and grants administration team and other departments at the Foundation to ensure fiscal excellence agency wide. This position reports to the Accounting Supervisor with direct support to the Controller and CFO positions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
▪ Review and approve the recording of contributions (gifts), including committing the gift batches and producing acknowledgement reports twice a week
▪ Ensure all gift backup documentation is attached to gift batches
▪ Review and post gift entry batches in accounting software (Raisers Edge into Financial Edge)
▪ Produce Reports, as requested, related to gifts and grants
▪ Review accounts payable postings for accuracy on a weekly basis
▪ Provide analysis and reconciliation for fund balances and quarterly fees
▪ Assist with quarterly and year-end closings
▪ Communicate and interface with other departments in the Foundation to ensure accuracy and operational efficiency
▪ Represent the finance team by working closely with the development team and other departments as needed
▪ Provide backup to assist in entering and depositing gifts when needed
▪ Provide backup to assist in entering Accounts Payables when needed
▪ Assist Accounting Supervisor, Controller, and CFO in ad-hoc projects as needed
▪ Sense of humor, creativity and an appreciation of the role of philanthropy in building community
▪ Alignment with Foundation values – Joy. Wellness. Failure friendliness. Generative. Relationships. Self-starting. Kindness and zero drama. Deliberate, unwavering commitment equity. Strong judgement and generous communication.
▪ Proven ability to work as a team player with diverse groups
▪ Highly motivated, self-starter with strong organizational skills and ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly while meeting deadlines
▪ Excellent time and task management skills as evidenced by a proven ability to efficiently and effectively handle multiple tasks at the same time as well as appropriate delegation
▪ Ability to communicate and problem solve in a high transaction environment
▪ Attention to detail and accuracy
▪ Strong interpersonal skills
▪ Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
▪ Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently and be proactive with approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
▪ Commitment to diversity, accessibility and inclusion
▪ High level of integrity, professional maturity and sound judgment Desired Experience
▪ Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
▪ 3-5 years experience as a staff accountant or equivalent position, preferably in a nonprofit finance setting
▪ Strong knowledge of computer software including Office 365 and virtual meeting applications (with strong preference for Blackbaud Financial Edge and/or Raiser’s Edge NXT experience, Microsoft Excel (Pivot Tables – VLOOKUPS) and Microsoft office
▪ Experience in accounting and automated financial reporting systems. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
▪ Proven experience with detail oriented
▪ Highly effective in communicating with other staff and working collaboratively This list of essential responsibilities and requirements is not intended to be exhaustive.
The Miami Foundation reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
▪ Position Available: Immediately
▪ Status: Full-Time, Exempt
▪ Salary: $50,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications
▪ We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, flex spending and dependent care accounts, professional development stipend, paid time off, cell phone stipend and gym reimbursement.
▪ Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Miami Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE M/F/D/V. The Miami Foundation’s Anti-Discrimination Policy - The Miami Foundation shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services. The Miami Foundation practices and champions inclusiveness in our community. We honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our community. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply
The Miami Foundation builds the philanthropic, civic, and leadership backbone for Greater Miami. Since 1967, the Foundation has invested $485 million to strengthen our community with partnerships and contributions from…
We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, flex spending and dependent care accounts, professional development stipend, paid time off, cell phone stipend and gym reimbursement.
We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, flex spending and dependent care accounts…