Details: Comprehensive compensation package
District of Columbia
About Young Invincibles:
Young Invincibles (“YI”) is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy organization working to expand economic opportunity for young people ages 18 to 34 and to amplify their voices in the national political conversation and policy arena. Founded by and for young adults in the summer of 2009 during the debate over health care reform, YI has quickly grown into a leading voice for young people on the issues of healthcare, higher education, pathways to jobs/workforce and civic engagement. The organization has achieved major successes in areas ranging from the regulation of college health plans to Pell grants, and has successfully engaged hundreds of thousands of young adults online through a network of over 100 partner organizations. Our regional offices (California, Colorado, Illinois, New York, and Texas) have increased grant aid for low-income college students, expanded funding for community colleges, and ensured undocumented students can access in-state tuition.
Communications Director leads YI’s communications team in driving forward the organization’s media and messaging work, putting the young adult perspective, particularly of those least represented in the halls of power, front and center in today’s most pressing policy debates. He/she/they will oversee traditional media, digital media, and content strategies across our national and regional work. The communications director will be responsible for strengthening and expanding YI’s brand reach to new communities using a range of tactics, including through strategically seeding YI’s research and policy work, lifting up young adults voices, and disseminating our consumer education resources.
- Lead YI communications team across traditional media and digital roles, as well as various campaign and project teams
- Ensure the organization has strategic, consistent messaging and branding across regions and issue areas
- Drive high-level media relations strategy and secure media hits for the organization across top-tier, key regional, and constituent media outlets
- Oversee our young adult storytelling efforts, driving opportunities for young people, particularly those least represented, to tell their stories across traditional and digital media
- Provide strategic guidance to digital team on digital engagement including social media, email program, mobile advocacy, and our website
- Develop high-level communications partnerships with nonprofits, government leaders, foundations, etc., that support our programs and mission
- Identify and secure conference attendance, speaking opportunities, and event sponsorships across organization
- Develop strategies for disseminating consumer education materials to ensure they reach young adult audiences and build YI’s brand with consumer media
- Serve as a spokesperson for Young Invincibles in the media and at public speaking appearances
- Work with the Development Director and YI’s leadership teams to identify potential funding support for YI’s communications work
- Work with YI’s national management team to shape the long-term vision of the organization and YI’s communications department, including developing integrated campaign strategy for priority issue areas nationally and regionally
- 5 - 8 years communications, political strategy, or campaign experience
- Extensive communications experience across a range of media, including traditional and digital
- Strong political instincts and ability to navigate complex and potentially sensitive political landscapes
- Excellent management instincts and leadership ability
- Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills
- Can translate complicated policy into content for our constituents, public, the media, and policymakers
- Flexible, creative, strong work ethic, with a solutions-oriented attitude
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritize internally to achieve results
- Deep commitment to advancing equity for underrepresented communities
- Strong existing media relationships are a plus, as well as fluency in Spanish.
Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, & vision coverage, company funded HRA plan; 401K retirement, life insurance, generous vacation, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete your application on this link: https://younginvincibles.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=8