Right now, everything in our lives could be powered by clean, renewable energy. From our homes and smartphones to the electricity running our local grocery store, clean energy is not only possible – it’s already happening. The Solutions Project accelerates an equitable transition to 100%, ensuring that the opportunities and benefits of renewable energy reach all people. To achieve this, we work at a movement level, championing a culture that is more inclusive, more collaborative, and more celebratory. Through grantmaking, storytelling, and capacity building, we honor clean energy leaders, invest in promising solutions, and build relationships between unlikely allies. Together, we can make renewable energy a reality for everyone – 100% for 100%.
- Be bold. We are aspirational, creative and always active.
- Be inclusive. We shine the light and invite everyone we can onto the path to 100%.
- Duplicate nothing. We must leverage and strengthen the field -- connecting dots, amplifying, influencing, and resourcing other organizations, as needed.
- Support equity. We encourage equity-rooted strategies, working to ensure that community benefits, diverse leadership, and just transitions are central to the call for 100%.
- Transparency, Efficiency, Respect, Connectedness, Feminine Leadership
- Oversee organization’s media strategy and services program to strengthen the voices, elevate the profiles, and increase the influence of frontline grantee partners within their local spheres of impact and across a national movement
- Work in close collaboration with Invest Program Director to lead the process with vendor support to create and implement media plans for dozens of frontline grantee partners and 3 communications collaboratives within which they are networked, including training, PR strategies, and creative marketing tactics, that together increase the diversity, capacity, and impact of clean energy messengers in media and movement narratives
- Work in close collaboration with the VP, External Relations to develop and execute an aligned “100% is Equitable” communications plan, including digital, earned media, creative content, fieldwide tools, media partnerships, and events, leveraging insights from broader media landscape and pop culture
- Manage contract support, strategic consultants, and communications firms to provide expert training, production, public relations, metrics, and other services in support of frontline leader media and overarching “100% is Equitable” communications plans
- Oversee production of ONE100 creative content and events, in partnership with frontline leaders, other staff, and corporate supporters
- Manage special projects with celebrity, artist, corporate, and other cultural influencers that amplify frontline leadership and key movement moments to advance equity goals within the larger call for 100%
- Manage partnerships with other organizations that advance narrative or media strategies, including developing MOUs, clear lines of communication, and opportunities/risks for frontline leadership and “100% is Equitable” goals
- Maintain a consistent earned media and content calendar that incorporates and celebrates frontline leaders, victories, and public interest stories; manage monthly media tracker to understand our impact and integrate insights into planning
- Maintain the webpages of The Solutions Project and 100% campaign with contract support
- Bottomline @100isNow social channels, aligned to frontline media and “100% is Equitable” communications plans, engaging all staff and select spokespeople in day to day content, and with contract support
- Manage monthly digital advertising across web and social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and AdWords
- Participate in strategic networks across the field to stay in-the-know and provide strategic communications expertise in support of greater field alignment to equity and effectiveness in advancing a public narrative
- Represent the organization externally, in meetings, media, and public events
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Operations to develop and manage program budget
- Participate in internal, Board, and Trustee or Advisory meetings, bringing forward perspective, expertise, and questions to strengthen the effectiveness of our overall organization and mission
A typical day as an Inspire Program Director might include:
- Preparing for a frontline partner kick-off call with other staff that includes budget review, organizational goal mapping, and process alignment
- Identifying and pitching stories with allied media and nonprofit outlets
- Coaching a frontline leader or celebrity before an interview or event
- Editing or approving draft content, including articles, videos, graphics, etc. for promotion across our organization’s social media platforms
- Writing a blog or editing an op-ed celebrating frontline leadership in a clean energy transition
- Listening to social media to identify super-users, trending topics, and rapid response opportunities
- Participating in meetings to shape and influence the organization’s narrative direction and future activities
- Setting up an action or email blast in Action Network
- Setting up an advertisement on Facebook or other relevant social media
- Preparing data-driven insights to share with the rest of The Solutions Project team on the performance of media content
- At least ten (10) years experience in strategic communications, with specific experience in earned, social media, and/or campaign management on a national level; experience in writing, speaking, community organizing, or related strategies to influence new and diverse audiences for climate action also relevant
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, including presentations
- Superb strategic planning and opportunity/risk evaluation skills
- Demonstrated success bringing social movement concepts into mainstream media
- Ability to manage consultants and contractors with efficiency and shared vision
- Organized project management skills with acute attention to detail
- Ability to self-start in a high performing, creative environment and engage collaboratively as a member of a diverse team
- Holds fluent understanding of media and culture landscapes, with ability to make quick analyzed assessments
- Passionate energy for social change, especially racial and gender equity
- Highly skilled with professional networking and relationship management across diverse sectors, including frontline leaders, celebrities, and peer organizations
- Comfortability with public speaking in front of small to large audiences
- Proficiency in or capacity to quickly learn Google Suite, Slack, Buffer, Facebook/Twitter Ads, Wordpress, Salesforce, ActionNetwork, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Must be able to submit government-issued ID and provide a residential mailing address for Facebook advertiser verification.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to advancing the inclusion of marginalized voices and stories in the movement for 100% clean energy for all
- Ability for national travel, up to 20% time.
This is a full-time, exempt position, ideally based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles. Compensation package, including benefits, is competitive and salary is commensurate with experience. The Solutions Project is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages leaders of color, women, and those who identify as LGBTQI to apply.
Minimum Education Required