Food Empowerment Project is seeking an experienced nonprofit Operations and Development Manager to join our small but immensely passionate team in the Petaluma area of California. We work to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We encourage choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, the depletion of natural resources, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the unavailability of healthy foods in communities of color and low-income areas, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor. With more than ten years of vegan food justice advocacy, we proudly define justice in a way that doesn't leave anyone behind. If you are passionate about veganism, farm worker justice, food access, and other justice issues, please read on.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) and working closely with staff and volunteers, the Operations & Development Manager of Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) will work to enhance the strategic organizational processes and infrastructure that will allow F.E.P. to continue to grow and fulfill its mission. At the macro level of the organization, this includes annual budget building, helping set annual objectives and aligning resources to objectives. At micro levels, this includes staff leadership (hiring, training, and performance management), overseeing volunteers and committees, documenting project plans and briefs, and overseeing fundraising efforts and more.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Providing operational support across all 4 core programs (farm worker rights, veganism, food access, and labor in the global chocolate industry)
- Developing and executing on long-term fundraising goals and plans, including strategy for donor relations to ensure long term financial health of the org
- Working with ED on operational strategy, priorities, objective planning, and human resource planning as needed
- Directing and coordinating annual budget planning process and financial plan; and providing oversight of accounting practices and volunteers
- Supporting the ED to develop and monitor project and campaign budgets to assure organizational efficiency and appropriate resource allocation
- Overseeing hiring and performance management of future full time staff, vendors, and pro bono teams
- Working with ED to oversee operational plans, including plans for local chapter expansion to scale F.E.P.’s work
- Managing the purchase, deployment, training, and effective use of organizational tools and databases (such as donor database, email platform, project management tool, productivity tools, etc.)
- Creating and coordinating fundraising communications (emails, newsletters, letters, events, and donor campaigns)
- Managing donor database, doing all data entry, and donor reporting
- Conducting all work within the values framework set out by the founder to empower those with the fewest resources and not replicate oppressive hierarchies, patriarchy, racism, and classism in our work
- Deep and clear passion for the specific work that F.E.P. does, and our values, mission, and approach to food justice
- 5 Years of nonprofit operations experience
- 3 Years of fundraising and development experience
- Personal understanding of food justice issues, labor rights, global human rights, and the impact of colonization
- Understanding of the vegan, animal rights, and animal liberation movement
- Experience managing annual budgets
- Demonstrable leadership, planning, and operations skills
- Bilingual in Spanish or Tagalog
- Experience with PR, communications and/or social media
- Degree in nonprofit management, business management, human resources, sociology, or any liberal arts or science degree where the focus was related to food justice
- Quickbooks experience
Food Empowerment Project is a vegan food justice organization and a registered non-profit 501(c)(3) based in Petaluma, CA.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
Please review our website, www.foodispower.org, prior to applying. Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) is an ethics-based organization and we are searching for individuals whose ethics and values are similar to our organization's mission. Please be sure to include in your cover letter how your personal values and practices are parallel with F.E.P.'s overall mission and goals.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter detailing why this role is an ideal fit for your experience and passions to info(at)foodispower.org.