The Dilley Pro Bono Project (Project) is a collaborative effort among the American Immigration Council (Council), the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), and Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid Inc. (TRLA). The Project provides legal services to women and children detained in the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, Texas. It also is committed to advocating for the end of family detention and a fair process for women and children seeking protection in the United States.
The Managing Attorney will be hired by TRLA and will report to the Director of the Dilley Pro Bono Project. The Managing Attorney also will work in close collaboration with the Project’s partner organizations.
The Dilley Pro Bono Project seeks a Managing Attorney based in Dilley, TX to manage a team of full-time on-the-ground (OTG) staff and volunteers, provide legal advice and representation to clients in accordance with the best practices and rules of conduct of the profession, strategize with the Director and project leadership, and participate in regular program management and government liaison meetings.
The responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Working with OTG staff, the Director, and organizational partners to run on-the ground operations of the project in Dilley, TX.
- Providing direct representation to eligible families detained at the facility in Dilley, TX.
- Overseeing staff.
- Liaising with government officials to raise issues that arise.
- Overseeing volunteers’ legal work.
- Coordinating with Project’s partners’ advocacy and communications staff.
- Other functions necessary to ensure successful completion of the project.
- Law Degree (J.D.)
- Admission to practice law in any state and/or the District of Columbia.
- 3+ years immigration law practice experience (removal defense and asylum).
- 1+ years of experience in supervising staff, students, or volunteers.
- Bi-lingual, English/Spanish (conversational, speaking and writing)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in managing pro bono programs, preferred.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required