Application Deadline: November 7, 2021, 11:59PM CT for full consideration
Instructions: Click the following link abortionfunds.bamboohr.com/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter. If you have any questions or trouble with the application process, send a message to jobs [at] abortionfunds.org
Estimated Date to Hire: February 14, 2022
Hiring Timeline: The hiring timeline listed here is our best estimate, and intended to assist applicants with planning throughout the process. If the timeline changes by more than a week, we will inform all applicants.
- Oct 7 - Job Posting Open
- Nov 7 - Job Posting Closes
- Nov 29 - Conduct Phone Screens
- Dec 13 - Conduct Virtual Interviews
- Jan 3 - Conduct Final Interviews
- Jan 10 - Selection, Reference Checks & Job Offer
- Feb 14 - Day One!
Are you looking for us?
You are a systems thinker who finds joy in evaluating complex processes and applying sustainable technical solutions. You are passionate about accessible data, and Salesforce just might be your love language. You are excited to apply your database knowledge and operational prowess to contribute to NNAF’s fundraising efforts to fund abortion and building power!
The National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF) builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic and reproductive justice. Together with our members, we advocate for cultural and political change to ensure access for people who face the greatest obstacles to abortion access: women with lower income, women of color, young women, and transgender and gender nonconforming people. This is an exciting time for NNAF as we grow, nurture new funds emerging in underserved areas, deepen our support for funds working within the reproductive justice framework, and co-lead a bold national coalition campaign to increase abortion access by restoring Medicaid coverage for abortion. We are working to make access to abortion a reality for everyone, no matter their resources. We are building a movement, mentoring young leaders, and working toward a world in which everyone can shape their own futures and families. We invite you to join us as the newest member of our dedicated and growing team at a time when we are explicitly focused on scaling our network and building the infrastructure of abortion funds to be fully staffed organizations with robust abortion funding budgets.
NNAF is comprised of a multi-racial, multi-religious, gender expansive staff of 50, located across the United States. We know how important it is to support our remote staff to maintain connection and cohesiveness as a team. To this end, we ensure weekly one-on-one supervision, face-to-face virtual staff meetings, quarterly in-person meetings, and more.
Title: Development Operations Manager
Supervised by: Director of Donor Engagement
Supervises: Development Operations Coordinator
Status: The position is full-time, exempt, salaried.
Compensation: $71,120 - $78,410, commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits package
Benefits: Best in Class benefits package currently including 100% employer paid health insurance plus 50% for dependents/families, a 5% employer retirement match, 32-hour work weeks, 3 weeks vacation, 13 holidays, generous sick time, and a commitment to professional development.
The Development Operations Manager is a new position that oversees the fundraising operations of the Development Department to ensure that all fundraising support systems and processes are optimized and all areas of fundraising (Institutional and Individual Giving) have the resources and support they need.
Essential Job Functions
Leadership of Development Operations (approximately 45% of the position)
- Lead development operations team, ensuring fundraising platforms and systems are optimized and functioning properly.
- Evaluate processes and recommend improvements as needed to streamline efficiency and ensure accuracy. Implement policies and procedures to improve sustainability within and scaling of institutional and individual giving programs and that support collaboration between development and other departments.
- Serve as the development team project manager and strategist for technology platform projects and oversee the delegation of other development operations projects, working closely with the Salesforce administrators on the Data Systems (IT) team.
- Refine and oversee the process of issuing gift acknowledgements as well as timely processing of income, gift receipt communications, and other centralized donor stewardship operations for the individual donor program.
- Research and develop engagement automation plans in Salesforce, finding ways to systematize tasks and processes the individual and institutional giving team regularly engage in to secure or steward a gift and grant.
- Working closely with the Revenue Reconciliation Manager, the Network Fundraising Coordinator, and the Finance team, lead the systems strategy for revenue that is distributed to abortion fund members across individual and institutional funding streams.
- Oversee system for documentation of relationship stewardship and management in Salesforce as related to institutional giving funding sources.
- Design and deliver team trainings on development operations such as Salesforce fundamentals for the Development Team, submitting system requests, and best practices to keep in mind during routine workflows.
Development Operations Administration (approximately 25% of the position)
- Liaise with the Data Systems team on the development team’s Salesforce system requests, participating in bi-weekly sprints. Collaborate with the Development Operations Coordinator to answer questions and make suggested customizations.
- In collaboration with the Senior Data Systems Manager and with support from the Development Operations Coordinator, lead routine data audits as needed, including audits on duplicate entries, salutations, contributions, relationships and households.
- Collaborating with the IT department, oversee the maintenance of development team files and documentation, ensuring they are readily accessible and understandable by members of the team.
- Improve reporting on donor data and develop more simplified, self-service reporting. Prepare and analyze data for results and forecasting of revenue to create transparency and digestible data to support decision-making. Work with the Development Operations Coordinator to fulfill reporting and analytics requests.
- Serve as backup when needed for all data-related duties performed by the Development Operations Coordinator.
- Support the Revenue Reconciliation Manager, and fundraising work stream directors as needed, in any development systems decisions related to reconciliation with finance department records.
Management (approximately 20% of the position)
- Department Leadership: Collaborate with and support the Director of Philanthropic Engagement and the Director of Donor Engagement in effectively implementing department work plans.
- Manage staff responsible for development operations tasks execution.
- Supervise assigned staff: Write position descriptions and hire assigned staff. Conduct supervision and evaluations and foster a relationship of mutual feedback. Provide ongoing mentoring to facilitate strategic growth for assigned staff and monitor individual work plans. Conduct necessary performance improvement plans, terminations, and other personnel actions in accordance with personnel policies.
Other (approximately 10% of the position)
- Actively participate in required convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and participate in required virtual staff communications.
- Protect the organization by keeping information confidential.
- Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities approved by NNAF, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations as relevant to your role.
- Perform duties required of all staff to support smooth internal operations such as submitting timely expense reports, reimbursement requests, and timesheets.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ability to travel as job requires, approximately two times minimum per year. Travel will primarily be overnight, for approximately 2-5 days, and national. Regardless of where employee lives, and barring travel delays outside of an individual’s control, employee must be able to arrive at destination on-time.
Please note: Due to COVID-19, NNAF has suspended all travel to minimize risk of exposure for staff through the end of the year. This applies to all NNAF related work. We will update the travel suspension only when the pandemic significantly improves and conditions become safer.
- Evaluate development processes at least bi-annually and implement improvements as needed to ensure institutional and individual giving programs and systems are optimized and functioning properly. Make recommendations for larger improvements in line with the annual work planning schedule.
- Through weekly meetings with the Development Operations Coordinator, lead routine data audits and manage the development team Salesforce system requests, responding to 100% of requests within 1-week.
- Management: Works with the Development Operations Coordinator to track quarterly goals, oversee progress of work plan. Provide ongoing mentoring to facilitate growth and leadership development in line with professional development goals.
- Submit all baseline work accurately and on time every cycle. Baseline work includes Certify (monthly) or submitting reimbursements within 90 days of expenses, workplanning in Trello (keeping your own annual and quarterly workplan updated and participating in maintaining your department's), Slack and email communication (daily), timesheets in ADP (bi-weekly), participating in all staff meetings (monthly) and department meetings, and consistently working core hours.
Job experience requirements
- Five or more years relevant experience.
- Experience working with one or more CRMs and at least some significant experience with Salesforce, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- One or more years of supervisory experience.
Specific skill sets
- Proficiency in Salesforce or similar CRM.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Demonstrates sound project management skills, including the ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects to meet required deadlines.
- Good listening skills and practices, especially the ability to ask inviting questions about data and database usage to solicit the data management needs behind a given request.
- Creative thinker and solution finder, particularly in helping solve logistical problems.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices and fundraising data management.
Preferred skill sets
- Experience creating, updating and automating nonprofit fundraising reports & dashboards.
- Experience analyzing data points to inform fundraising initiatives.
- Experience training and communicating database concepts to people without specialized or technical knowledge.
- Committed to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all.
- Committed to an intersectional framework that includes, but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- Ability to enjoy collaboration and be a part of a dynamic, highly productive and integrated team; maintain flexibility and effectively manage ambiguity in a responsive work environment.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
- Belief in bucking the trend through progressive policies to create a new vision for our future.
- Appreciation of working with diverse staff and board in an organization committed to racial justice.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Depending on location, a combination of in-office and virtual office at this time. Must be able to participate in online virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
- This position is full time, with employee’s regular full time schedule to be approved by supervisor. Regular hours must include attendance during core business hours from 12:00pm – 5:00pm Eastern Time, Monday through Thursday. Occasional work on evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- Smoke- and drug (illegal or recreational)-free environment.
- Some work at off-site locations may be required; NNAF aims for accessibility in any off-site location that we have control of, but some of them may not be fully accessible.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer, via phone, and in person.
- This role requires frequent sitting.
NNAF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual based on any non-merit factor, and is committed to an equitable workplace where everyone is treated as a respected and valued member of the team. In fact, NNAF actively seeks to build and maintain a diverse staff with regard to race, culture, ethnicity, class, religion, physical ability, age, gender, and sexual orientation. As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, NNAF is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBTQ+, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply.