POSITION: Teacher’s Aide – Early LIFE Center
REPORTS TO: Director of Early LIFE Center
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
EXEMPT/NONEXEMPT: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The Teacher’s Aide shares responsibility with the Assistant Teacher in implementing the pre-school instructional program and supporting students in activities planned by the classroom's Head Teacher. The Teacher’s Aide assists in supervising and managing students throughout the day - in the classroom, on the playground, at meals and snacks, during transitions throughout the pre-school, at arrival and dismissal times, and on trips.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise pre-school children throughout the day – in the classroom, on the playground, at meals and snacks, during transitions throughout the pre-school, at arrival and departure times, and on trips.
- Ensure that students are always accompanied by an adult and are directly supervised as they move about the school and on trips.
- Move around the classroom and be alert to individual student learning styles.
- Provide classroom coverage as directed by the Director.
- Assist the Head Teacher and Assistant Teacher in preparing, implementing and recording daily lessons.
- Assist the Head Teacher and Assistant Teacher in developing age-appropriate goals for children.
- Ensure that the classroom is clean and orderly at the end of the day.
- Work with the Head Teacher and the Assistant Teacher to assess students for signs of emotional difficulties, abuse, or neglect and report these to the Head Teacher, Assistant Teacher, Family Service Worker or Director.
- Actively support the Head Teacher and Assistant Teacher in addressing children’s needs.
- Actively participate in student progress meetings as requested.
- Develop supportive relationships with students, parents and guardians.
- Share talents and skills to enhance the pre-school program.
- Participate in professional development, including 12 In-Service Trainings per year.
- Collect student work, correct progress reports, contact parents, write incident reports, perform other clerical/office tasks as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Represent Lutheran Social Service of New York’s mission, values, ethics, and uphold agency Code of Conduct at all times.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS:
+ HS Diploma or GED
+ Child Development Associate Credential within one year of hire
+ Experience working with pre-school children, preferably in a school or in child center
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
+ Able to work cooperatively with Head Teacher and other colleagues
+ Able to supervise pre-school children at all times during the day - in the classroom, on the playground, at meals and snacks, during transitions throughout the pre-school, at arrival and departure times, and on trips.
+ Able to assist in implementing instructional program
+ Willing to participate in professional development
+ Able to be an active and involved partner in the classroom process
+ Able to work with students with behavior challenges
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send all resumes and cover letters to the hiring supervisor, Lizette Singh, with “Teacher Aide” in the subject line.
Early LIFE Site Director
[with “Teacher Aide” in the subject line]
----LSSNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer----