The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights invites applications for the position of Social Worker to be based in San Antonio, TX. The Social Worker will supervise volunteers appointed as independent Child Advocate for unaccompanied and separated immigrant children and will also serve as direct Child Advocate for particularly complex cases. In addition, the Social Worker will provide internal case consultation and case support on matters involving child welfare, child development, and trauma for colleagues in the San Antonio office.
The Young Center is dedicated to promoting the best interests—safety and well-being—of unaccompanied and separated immigrant children in the United States. The immediate focus of the Young Center’s work is to serve as Child Advocate for vulnerable, unaccompanied children. Our role is to identify and advocate for the best interests of children in federal custody, applying federal and state law and long-recognized principles of the best interests of the child.
The Young Center has programs in eight cities across the United States including Houston, San Antonio, Harlingen, Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. Our team is a passionate and interdisciplinary group of professionals—attorneys, social workers, volunteer coordinators and administrative staff—committed to ensuring that immigrant children are recognized as children, first and foremost, and receive the full protection they deserve under the law, even though they’re caught in an immigration system that often views them as adults-in-miniature.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. The Social Worker’s primary responsibilities will be:
• Supervise volunteers appointed as Child Advocate for unaccompanied and separated children in federal custody in the San Antonio area
• Serve as Child Advocate for particularly complex cases
• Visit children as needed; speak with parents, family members and stakeholders; and draft case summaries
• Collaborate with attorneys on legal analyses and legal advocacy to identify and advocate for the best interests of unaccompanied and separated children
• Provide internal case consultations and case support on matters involving child welfare, child development and trauma for the Young Center’s San Antonio office
• Assist in recruiting and trainings for prospective volunteer Child Advocates in San Antonio
• Assist with monthly reporting, attend stakeholder meetings, participate in working groups, and take on other program responsibilities as needed
• Guide the local office in implementing self-care strategies
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree in social work
• Two years of prior experience, preferably working with immigrant and refugee children or families
• Bilingual in Spanish and English
• Strong writing and communication skills; excellent organizational and planning skills
• Experience with basic Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
• Texas licensure or the ability to become licensed strongly encouraged
• Ability to take initiative, to work independently as well as collaboratively
• Enthusiasm for working with volunteers and children
• Passion, tenacity and optimism for the issues affecting immigrant children and their families
• Experience in self-care strategies
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Physical demands include regular attendance; keyboarding; sitting for long periods (at least 5 hours a day); driving. Ability to use computer, telephone, and copy machine. Ability to travel by plane, car and other conveyances within U.S.
Job offer is conditioned on clearance of fingerprint criminal background check, child abuse and neglect check (CANTS) and tuberculosis test.
The Young Center is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. Young Center encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veterans’ status. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights invites applications for the position of Social Worker to be based in San Antonio, TX. The Social Worker will supervise volunteers appointed as independent Child Advocate for…
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Young Center provides excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance (employee & dependents) at no cost to the employee, paid vacation and sick time, and a 401(k) plan.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Young Center provides excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance (employee & dependents) at no cost to the…
Bilingual in Spanish and English
Bilingual in Spanish and English
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please apply through our website at theyoungcenter.org/careers, including a cover letter, resume, three references and a writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please apply through our website at theyoungcenter.org/careers, including a cover letter…