1 Water Street
Job Title: Managing Director, Center for Legal Services
Job Classification: Full Time Exempt
Department: Center for Legal Services (CLS)
Position Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
My Sisters’ Place (MSP) seeks a dynamic attorney with strong leadership and managerial skills to lead our multifaceted legal center and serve as a key member of the agency’s senior team. This is a pivotal and exciting position to develop and incorporate our goals and objectives from our 5 year Strategic Plan. The Managing Director provides overall administration, management and development of our legal program serving survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking in immigration and family law cases.
My Sisters' Place (MSP) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization located in Westchester County, NY, that has evolved from a small, grassroots organization into a holistic agency touching the lives of more than 15,000 individuals each year. We provide a continuum of free services including: a 24-hour hotline, emergency residential shelter, adult counseling, legal services, children’s services, and an extensive community education and training outreach program.
Center for Legal Services
The Center for Legal Services (“CLS”) mission is to provide survivors greater access to legal protections and remedies critical to their survival, safety and independence. CLS provides legal services in both Family Law and Immigration matters. The Family law matters include custody, visitation, orders of protection, child support and paternity. The Immigration law matters include defensive and affirmative applications such as VAWA self-petitions, Applications for U and T Nonimmigrant Status, Battered Spouse Waivers, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, asylum, and adjustment of status applications. The Managing Director of the Center for Legal Services oversees the legal department and supervises a staff of twelve attorneys and paralegal advocates.
· Direct supervision to Managing Attorneys, Associate Counsel, and legal advocates
· Responsible for resource and legal program development
· Develop and enhance relationships with corporate and pro bono partners
· Responsible for the management of government contracts and private grants including applications, reporting and renewals
· Oversee client databases.
· Work closely with Chief Executive Officer and senior team on all agency matters, including operations, policies, budget, resource development, strategic planning, and external affairs
· Advise on agency legal matters and support special projects
· Support key legislation affecting victims of domestic violence and human trafficking
· Act as liaison with outside partner agencies and community based groups
· J.D. Law Degree with admission to New York State Bar
· Minimum of 10 years of legal supervision and management experience
· Experience representing victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, immigrants/refugees, and/or other vulnerable or disenfranchised populations
· Strong analytical, organizational, and leadership skills
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Strong computer skills, including spreadsheet and database programs
· Team player working collaboratively and liaising between the legal and non-legal programs
· Strong project management or coordination skills, including ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines, including grant management and budgets;
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills
· Proficiency in Spanish oral and written communication a plus
· Support our philosophy and guiding principles, which can be found on our website at http://mspny.org/guiding-principles/
My Sisters’ Place policy prohibits discrimination due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and national origin in employment and delivery of services.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish oral and written communication a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references via email to Gail McDaniel at email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line “Center for Legal Services Managing Director.”
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis.