Inventory Control and Distribution Lead
4001 North 1st Street
About Second Harvest Food Bank
Looking for mission-driven work? Based in Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to more than one quarter of a million people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974. Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than any other food bank in the country, through a network of nearly 320 nonprofit partners at more than 850 sites. Second Harvest is pursuing innovative efforts to increase access to food resources as it seeks to feed an additional 100,000 hungry people each month. To reach more people, it advocates for anti-hunger policies and connects those in need to federal nutrition programs and other food resources. To learn more about how Second Harvest is building a hunger-free community, visit www.SHFB.org.
About the Position
Work and lead team members to support all Inventory functions and documentation for Second Harvest Food Bank in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to execute distribution plan. Provide backup support to Inventory Manager as needed. Ensure timely and accurate entry of all inventory documentation and transactions.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Guide and mentor inventory specialist(s).
• Help to develop, deploy and achieve KPI’s that are assigned to inventory.
• Perform physical inventory when required and reconcile with computer inventory.
• Conduct and maintain regular cycle counts. Store data and email appropriate stakeholders on product accuracy by type and by case count.
• Perform month-end and end-of-year (EOY) inventory activities.
• Perform and complete timely and accurate follow-through on inventory related issues and discrepancies.
• Responsible for data integrity of all required inventory activity.
• Research and remedy inaccuracies daily against posted orders and inventory discrepancies.
• Be intimately familiar with the MFG and develop menu guidelines for Direct Service Menus.
• Work closely with internal stakeholders to prioritize sort projects ensuring product turns, and are available for menus.
• Help ensure menus are consistently released within agreed upon time frame.
• Work with IT on projects related to inventory. Inform IT of any bugs or serious errors that may occur frequently. Suggest efficiencies that could also make inventory tasks easier.
• Accurately input receiving Food Drive poundage, verifying all paperwork and documentation.
• Reclassify products and ensure inventory specialist does this daily in a timely manner.
• Assign new item numbers and/or modify existing item numbers upon request.
• Be responsible for product movement between three warehouses to ensure correct product is where it’s needed.
• Check produce quality and inventory levels daily.
• Lead change on efficiencies that would help inventory. Be proactive to get other staff involved in planning and on board.
• Monitor Transfer Requests to ensure follow through or stop movement if it’s already planned for another program.
• Work closely with internal stakeholders to move short life product and communicate any item that needs sorting to move quickly.
• Prepare menus for Brown Bag, Produce Mobile, KidsNow, Family Harvest, Hubs and Push program based on MFG, program requirements and available inventory on hand.
• Coordinate between warehouses and storage to maintain consistent process at all warehouse sites.
• Be an active participant in new projects or pilots. Initiate solutions or sub-groups that could increase efficiencies.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Inventory Control Manager in order to satisfy Agency/Operations goals and objectives.
• Maintain constructive working relationships with Food Bank staff and member agencies to foster continued support and cooperation.
• Act as a primary back-up to the Inventory Control Manager in the following areas:
o Managing aged inventory
o Run daily reports as required
o Assist staff members in resolving inventory issues
o Help train new hires or volunteers if needed.
o Manage Recalled product notifications
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college; experience may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
• Four or more years of experience in inventory control practices and procedures, food handling food safety and distribution practices.
• Strong knowledge of food safety and produce quality.
• Strong analytical and organization skills. Demonstrated ability to organize, plan and carry out activities to independently meet specific timelines and goals; proven record of accuracy in completing documentation and reports.
• Ability to analyze, graph & present inventory reports and issues.
• Ability to perform multiple duties with minimum supervision to meet specific timelines. Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic forms.
• Ability to make frequent changes of routine and pace of activity due to unpredictable constituent demands without loss of efficiency or composure.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Outstanding and generous health and dental benefits program, Flexible Time Off (FTO) starting at 200 hours/year, ten paid holidays, and retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required