The Organizing Manager plays a pivotal role in the development and continued success of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. Each Organizing Manager oversees several state-level chapters of Moms Demand Action, focusing on training chapter leaders and the leadership teams to meet the organization’s goals in each state. Organizing Managers work with chapter leadership to develop growth plans and grassroots organizing campaigns for each state, assessing needs, collaboratively setting priorities, identifying resources, and aiding the chapters in their communications, partnerships, grassroots organizing, educational and advocacy efforts. Organizing Managers conduct site visits to their states, hold regular meetings with leaders, and run campaigns alongside members of the Policy, Communications, Legal and Legislative teams.
Organizing Managers receive training and resources upon starting, including background on the gun violence prevention movement and Everytown’s policy positions and volunteer management training. We are currently hiring for one position based in the Midwest.
Develop volunteer leaders
- Mentor, train and manage volunteer leaders so that they can best support chapter membership; regularly assess development needs of volunteer leadership
- Ensure chapters are successfully collaborating with and mobilizing important constituent groups
- Lead by example through demonstrations of integrity, professionalism and leadership
Chapter growth and field power:
- Ensure chapters of Moms Demand Action are building lasting field power for the organization
- Collaboratively create and oversee implementation of growth plans for chapters in the region
Organizing strategy and campaign development:
- Work closely with the National Organizing Director and Deputy National Organizing Directors to develop national and local strategies for various campaigns and programs
- Collaboratively set long and short-term priorities with chapters; ensure work on the ground stays focused on agreed upon priorities, while maintaining flexibility needed to rapidly respond to new opportunities and challenges
- Seed, encourage and support tactical innovations from volunteers and help replicate those successes elsewhere
- Ensure campaign plans are in touch with realities on the ground; act as a bridge between volunteers and other stakeholders to make sure the organization’s plans are realistic and set up to succeed
Represent Moms Demand Action
- Act as a liaison between volunteer leaders and the rest of the organization; continually build confidence and excitement about our work, priorities and organizational choices
- Maintain regular communication with Chapter Leadership, serve as first point of contact for questions or needs, and connect them to staff contacts as appropriate
- Serve as public spokesperson when appropriate
- Develop knowledge on gun violence prevention policy, local and regional politics and relevant policy issues within the region
- Monitor Chapter Facebook pages for appropriate content and ensure Chapter Leadership adhere to Social Media Code of Conduct
- Manage regional budgets and approve budget requests from chapters
- Serve as a liaison between the Organizing Team and other departments
- Other duties as assigned
- Passion for the organization’s mission
- Strong management skills, in particular experience working with diverse communities, constituents, and volunteer leaders
- Passion for and demonstrated experience developing and mentoring volunteers or staff
- Organizing or campaign experience (issue or electoral)
- Experience creating and leading trainings
- Ability to understand, evaluate and articulate policy and strategic planning issues
- Strong interpersonal skills, volunteer management experience is a plus
- Ability to work with deadlines, and under pressure, and be flexible
- Ability to travel within state or region
- Self-motivated and proactive problem solver
- Comfortable with social media and technology
This position is a telework position. Please note that such arrangements are not a substitute for childcare or other dependent care. Arrangements must be made to secure child or dependent care to the same extent as if he or she was working at the Organization’s office.
ABOUT MOMS DEMAND ACTION
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a grassroots movement of Americans fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and protect people from gun violence. Moms Demand Action campaigns for new and stronger solutions to lax gun laws and loopholes that jeopardize the safety of our children and families. Since its inception after the tragedy at Sandy Hook School, Moms Demand Action has established a chapter in every state of the country and, along with Mayors Against Illegal Guns and the Everytown Survivor Network, it is part of Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with 4.5 million supporters and more than 250,000 donors. For more information or to get involved visit www.momsdemandaction.org. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MomsDemandAction or on Twitter at @MomsDemand
Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 4.5 million supporters and more than 250,000 donors including moms, mayors, survivors and everyday Americans who are fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and help save lives. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our job page and provide a resume and thoughtful cover letter. Please label your materials with your first and last name. Thank you.