Details: Contract to start, then potential to move to a salaried position with benefits
6111 Melrose Avenue
Big Sunday connects people through helping. We provide a wide variety of opportunities and projects that bring people together to improve lives, build community and give people a sense of belonging.
Big Sunday is not a community service organization. We are a community building organization based on the idea that absolutely everyone has some way that they can help somebody else. In these divisive times we like to bring diverse people together to focus on what we all have in common.
Please check out our website at www.bigsunday.org.
We are looking for a hardworking, ambitious, energetic, good-hearted and thoughtful development professional to join us at our Development Consultant. We are coming off of our best year ever – both programmatically and with fundraising, and with an excellent and engaged staff and board – and are hoping to surpass this again.
This person will have at least 5 years of fundraising experience. He or she should be passionate about our mission, and ready to learn, grow, and explore new possibilities. They will report to the Executive Director, and work with him and others to solidify and grow our excellent donor base, while looking for new opportunities both locally and further afield.
The Development Consultant will be responsible for the strengthening our fundraising with corporations, individuals, foundation, crowdfunding campaigns; through sponsorship opportunities; via our gala; while also exploring other fundraising possibilities and opportunities, including Big Sunday’s role as an agency for hire to plan service events.
The position will be an important team member at Big Sunday during a time of great growth. We are looking for someone who is innovative, open-minded, able to work both independently and alone, and is excited to succeed. This job will begin with a great deal of prospecting and outreach while working to maintain our many faithful and longtime donors.
At Big Sunday we take our job seriously, but we like to have a good time getting where we're going.
- Familiarizing oneself with the mission, programming and culture of Big Sunday
- Work with the Executive Director and/or Board Members to develop Big Sunday’s annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from corporations, individuals, foundations and other potential funders
- Develop major giving strategy and create and manage one-on-one meetings with donors and prospective donors
- Increase Big Sunday’s robust Corporate Day of Service program both in Southern California and throughout the US
- Help maximize fundraising at our annual gala
- Explore other special fundraising events
- Design and write development materials for distribution online and in print - including videos, PowerPoint presentations, and printed materials.
- Conduct prospect research to identify, cultivate and solicit new sources of funding.
- Conduct issue/background research to strengthen applications and fundraising assets.
- Provide necessary reporting and/or impact reports to fulfill requirements for grant awards as well as donor retention. Work with Staff to identify and import relevant reporting data.
- Help compile financials; develop budget summaries for funding applications.
- Track grant administration.
- Manage the proposal submission process to ensure timely submission of all required materials.
- Coordinate and follow-up on the progress of submitted proposals
- Oversee donor relations; Manage a portfolio of existing funders and new prospects.
- Explore recognition opportunities for funders.
- Ensure gift processing and information related to funding is captured in databases.
- Develop and execute End of Year fundraising campaigns, other crowdfunding campaigns, and collaborate with team members on fundraising effectively at Big Sunday events.
- Attendance at at least one non-fundraising Big Sunday event quarterly, as well as our annual gala in March
- Understanding and respecting the culture of Big Sunday
- Strong database of good donor prospects
- Must love building new relationships
- Must be willing to learn, grow, and leave one’s comfort zone
- Must be passionate about our mission of connecting people through helping
- Must have experience developing an individual donor strategy
- Must be a strong writer
- Good salesmanship a definite plus
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Experience planning and executing events
- BA degree
- Previous familiarity with Big Sunday helpful but not required
- Strategic with strong project management skills.
- Proven ability to manage deadlines while delivering a high quality product.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Grace under fire.
- High proficiency in Google Drive (emphasis on docs, sheets, and slides), Word, Excel, PowerPoint (or Mac equivalents), and e-Tapestry
- Budgeting experience and accuracy.
- Clear, precise, and compelling writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including editing and presentation (written and oral).
- Confidence and experience with cold calls/phone calls.
- Proven fundraising success is essential.
Some of these traits are not things one necessarily associates with development, but we have found they are great assets when raising money for Big Sunday:
- Full of ideas, while also open to new ones
- Willing to think outside the box
- Liking a challenge
- Able to work independently
- Committed to diversity and inclusion.
- Team player
- Ability to work with others.
- Likes to have fun
- Enjoys our events
- Has a good sense of humor
- Contract to start, then potential to move to a salaried position with benefits
- Consultant will have the option of working at Big Sunday headquarters on Melrose Ave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
- Please include an informative cover letter and your resume that includes a list of your recent grant awards with donors’ names.
- Send your application with the subject line Development Consultant to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that we may request up to 3 references, including direct reports.
- We will be accepting resumes until September 5, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
- No calls, please. (Really.)