The Montclair Public Library Foundation is seeking an experienced frontline fundraiser to serve in the new position of Executive Director. The Executive Director will lead the Foundation’s efforts to raise funds in support of the Montclair Public Library and build a sustainable culture of philanthropy. Under the direction of the Foundation’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director will develop, communicate, and implement a robust strategic and comprehensive fundraising plan that will include all fundraising activities as well as donor engagement, solicitation, and stewardship, and the services, tools, and systems required to execute fundraising programs. The Executive Director’s responsibilities might include a capital campaign in the future.
The Executive Director will develop and implement a plan to raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations, and other entities to augment the Library’s ability to offer excellent programming and serve the public. In partnership with the Foundation board, the Executive Director will seek opportunities to engage existing and new donors to the Foundation. A primary role for the Executive Director will be initiating and nurturing relationships with the Foundation’s donors, utilizing excellent community relations skills to learn of the current and future donors’ interests in the Library and to provide them with updates on how their funds are being spent to support Library programs. Strong capacity for donor engagement and stewardship, as well as prospect identification and management, is critical to success in this role.
Executive Director Duties and Responsibilities
· Achieves and ideally exceeds annual contributed income targets determined in collaboration with the Foundation’s Board of Directors. Leads any future capital and/or endowment fundraising efforts.
· Works closely with the Foundation Board to develop fundraising strategies and achieve goals and objectives in the areas of Annual Giving, Major Gifts, Special Events, Planned Giving, and Donor Relations.
· Oversees, manages and maintains an active fundraising process and donor management infrastructure with a portfolio of 100+ major gift prospects.
· Supports Foundation Board and committee operations and activities.
· Works collaboratively with the Library Director to develop messaging about the Foundation’s mission and goals and guides his/her involvement in fundraising efforts.
· Participates in Foundation Board recruitment efforts and on-boarding of new members.
· Maintains active relationships in the Montclair community to enhance fundraising and strengthen advocacy efforts.
· Oversees the Foundation’s grant process for the Library.
· Monitors the Foundation’s budget in partnership with the Foundation’s Treasurer, prepares documentation needed for the annual external audit process, and manages operations that support fundraising.
The ideal candidate would have the following skills, qualifications, and experience:
· A minimum of 10 years of fundraising and Board development experience at the senior level. Additional consideration will be given to candidates with expertise in major gifts and capital campaigns and/or fundraising experience with libraries or arts-related institutions.
· A consistent history of substantial fundraising accomplishments along with a demonstrated track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts of $10,000 or more from individuals, corporations, and foundations, and of identifying and pursuing planned giving/legacy opportunities.
· In-depth knowledge of best practices in all areas of development, including special events.
· Success in collaborating with multiple stakeholders, including President/Director/CEO and Board leadership.
· Commitment to and experience with creating an inclusive environment.
· Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively articulate the need for support.
· A commitment to the value of libraries in communities and their importance in a democratic society.
· Ability to interact sensitively with a variety of constituencies, including staff, volunteers, and members of the community.
· Ability to creatively manage development activities and identify fundraising opportunities in an entrepreneurial, innovative, forward-thinking and performance-driven manner.
· An entrepreneurial, strategic mindset and the desire to work collaboratively with a dedicated and committed Board to build a sustainable culture of philanthropy.
· Intellectual curiosity, personal accountability, emotional intelligence, collaborative mindset, and openness to new ideas and constructive feedback.
The Montclair Public Library Foundation is seeking an experienced frontline fundraiser to serve in the new position of Executive Director. The Executive Director will lead the Foundation’s efforts to raise funds in…