2695 Fordham St.
East Palo Alto
The mission of the San Francisco 49ers Academy is to provide students with a community of support that empowers them to be engaged in school, reach their full potential, and achieve academic and personal success in middle school, high school and beyond. We envision a future where the possibilities, opportunities and dreams for all youth are limitless regardless of race, gender, or socio-economic circumstances. By providing students with the resources, relationships, and services they need, the 49ers Academy is changing lives – one student at a time.
Located in East Palo Alto, the 49ers Academy is a private nonprofit agency embedded in the public school system that provides on-site services, staff, and programs to middle and high school students. This flexible and self-sustained model allows the 49ers Academy to address the ongoing challenges facing low income students and to help bridge the ever-widening opportunity gap.
The Ideal Candidate
The 49ers Academy is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced, and relationship-driven professional to serve as its Deputy Director. This newly created position will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from organizational strategy and implementation (business development, framing of key approaches, high-quality program delivery) to administration (information technology, financial management, facilities) and human capital (HR/recruiting, mentoring, performance management). The Deputy Director will partner closely with the ED to chart the 49ers Academy’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director, works in close partnership with the Assistant Director, and supervises the Program Director, Office Manager, and the Student & Family Affairs Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with the ED in essential internal leadership activities (human resources, talent development, administration, organizational planning) and lead implementation of new processes/approaches
- Contribute to the development of 49ers Academy’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization
- Serve as internal leader of the organization
- Coordinate annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and commitment to quality
- Provide mentoring and coaching to staff; Serve as a visible, approachable sounding board and resource for staff
- Provide thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting and communication
- Provide a lead voice with the organization’s Board of Directors; periodically present at Board meetings and serve on board committees, as directed
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary
- Develop data collection plan for reports and inquiries
- Participate in staff, functional, and strategy meetings and attend conferences, seminars, and other training as feasible and appropriate
- Perform other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will possess many of the following skills and experience:
- A commitment to the mission of the 49ers Academy
- Proven ability to create and improve systems and processes agency-wide
- Track record of strong initiative and self-motivation with attention to detail and organizational skills
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics
- Ability to work both independently and embrace a collaborative team approach
- Ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Skilled in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially the ability to motivate and coach staff and Board members
- The ability to work in close partnership with the Executive Director and Board to drive towards a shared vision
- Experience developing and understanding nonprofit budgets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic and the grit required to do whatever it takes to fulfill the Academy’s goals
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- 5 to 7 years of comparable experience, preferably with a focus in education
Compensation: Anticipated starting salary is $80,000-$90,000 per year and the organization is prepared to offer a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Deadline for applications: Accepted until a qualified candidate is hired. Initial phone interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis.
Estimated Start Date: ASAP
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter summarizing your interest, fit with qualifications, compensation requirements and experience, along with an updated resume to: Hiring Committee at Jobs@49ersAcademy.org. Please note “Deputy Director Application” in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered.