Details: Salary commensurate with experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
180 Grand Avenue
Organization Vision: uAspire imagines a day when all young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential by graduating from college, regardless of their families’ financial resources or college experiences.
Organization Summary: uAspire ensures that all young people have the financial information and resources necessary to find an affordable path to and through college. Our singular focus is on college affordability and removing financial barriers so that every student has an equitable opportunity to graduate from college and succeed in life
We have an innovative three-pronged approach toward solving the college affordability problem, having large scaled impact to ensure that every student has an equitable opportunity to succeed.
- Student Advising: In person and over text, we support students one-on-one to maximize financial aid, minimize loan debt, and make informed financial decisions about the best post-secondary option for them. Students are empowered with the knowledge and skills to face future obstacles and access the financial aid that enables them to complete their degree with limited debt.
- Training: School counselors and college access providers play a pivotal role in helping students achieve a higher education, but they often lack the knowledge and skills to guide students through the complex financial aid systems. Through online and in-person professional development, we share our expertise so they can effectively support their students every step of the way.
- Policy & Systems Change: To level the playing field for young people from all economic backgrounds, our policy team works to improve financial aid systems so everyone has a chance to graduate with a degree they can afford. We ensure that the student perspective is at the center of conversations on college affordability and the systems that greatly impact their lives and families.
Position Summary: The challenges of college affordability have never been more pronounced, and uAspire’s expertise – built over 30+ years of practice – has never been more needed across and communities nationwide. uAspire’s External Affairs department is responsible for ensuring that our organization has the support and resources needed to sustain the delivery of high impact services to the students we serve and to continuously increase the number of students uAspire is able to reach each year. The Development Manager plays an important role in building a base of support by engaging the local philanthropic community to ensure uAspire has the support necessary to maximize impact on behalf of students in the Bay Area.
This position will drive the execution of development operations and functions so that the Bay Area region is financially sustainable. It requires someone who is systems driven, forward thinking, process oriented, and customer-service oriented with excellent communication abilities.
Development: Ensure systems and processes for continuous identification, cultivation, stewardship, and engagement of prospective and existing individual and institutional supporters are executed.
- Lead all research endeavors on prospective supporters, partners, as well as growth opportunities.
- Lead grant-writing efforts
- Coordinate donor recognition and appreciation: partner with Central External Affairs team to ensure automated acknowledgment form letters are updated regularly and collaborate with Director of Development & Strategic Growth to ensure all donors are appreciated appropriately beyond form letters.
- Partner with Central External Affairs team members to ensure all donor contributions and event related gifts are processed
- Support preparations for uAspire Bay Area board meetings as requested, such as scheduling when and where meetings happen, materials, snacks, etc. Attend board meetings and document key conversations
- Support cultivation and stewardship of donors by assisting Executive Director and Director of Development & Strategic Growth with donor/funder meetings with preparation, materials, background information, engagement strategy, notes, etc.
Events: Contribute to strategies and lead tactical execution of events designed to build visibility and credibility of our organization.
- Lead project management for all Bay Area Events. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: guest list management, materials preparation, on-site support, coordination of video and print materials production, venue coordination, and student & Advisor engagement coordination.
- Act as point person for Bay Area events that are supported or driven by Central.
Systems Management: Ensure that all Bay Area development systems are maintained, operating with excellence, and meeting the needs of our organization.
- Manage uAspire Bay Area’s donor database system (Salesforce) for effective tracking of current and prospective donors/funders. Manage meeting note and activity entry. Monitor weekly reports for variances and upcoming deadlines.
- Meet with Salesforce Systems Manager team 2x a month to learn about, ID and implement efficiencies and automation and to inform improvements.
Communications: Ensure uAspire’s story is told in an authentic and compelling manner with student voice at the forefront in order to delight our donors and to bring more champions into the fold.
- Support the design and delivery of uAspire Bay Area’s Development communications strategy as it relates to both development, growth, and partner relationship management. Draft content that will be incorporated into emails, letters, newsletters, social media, web, blog posts, and other uAspire Bay Area content. Act as liaison between program and development teams.
- Lead coordination of content/story gathering through quarterly interviews with Advisors, follow-up with students, creating board member profiles, and conducting interviews with funders & partners.
- Act as point person for collaboration with Central on overall communications strategy development & execution.
Volunteer Management: Implement strategies and programs that cultivate and support strong volunteer recruitment and engagement.
- Serve as staff lead for Emerging Leaders Committee. Identify prospective members, perform outreach, assess potential member contributions, oversee onboarding process.
- Provide support and oversight for committee-led projects and events, coordinate scheduling of meetings, support co-chair in the creation of agendas and manage budgets, when applicable.
Qualifications: We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Committed to Equity - has a passion for working and participating in an organization dedicated to ensuring a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
Belief in and adherence to uAspire’s Organizational Values – Student-Centered, Excellent, Dedicated, Collaborative, and Systems-Focused
People Oriented Mentality - must be confident in communicating, coordinating and supporting people from various backgrounds in multiple settings; experience managing volunteers is a plus.
Self Confidence to Execute - doesn’t get intimidated by complex or sizable undertakings; attacks challenges with energy and enthusiasm and is self motivated to accomplish great things
Passion for Storytelling- understands listening as a means to collect stories and has ability to translate interviews and data into compelling content for various mediums including but not limited to social media, print collateral, newsletters, and appeals.
Analytical- attention to detail with the ability to draw relevant meaning from research and data and to connect the dots between need, uAspire activities, and measurable outcomes that create impact. Grant writing experience is strongly desired.
Comfort with Technologies - able to utilize and adapt new and existing technology to meet organizational needs, including a high proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office software as well comfort with Salesforce or a similar database. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Process Oriented- skilled at utilizing systems to coordinate and manage large projects involving multiple stakeholders to achieve specific goals.
3+ Years of Relevant Professional Experience
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
Applications: Applicants should apply through uAspire’s website here.
uAspire is an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces and encourages applicants of every background. The company’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity means that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, benefits, wage and salary administration, scheduling, disciplinary action and termination will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply