Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
11 Homer Street
About Birthday Wishes
Birthday Wishes is a Massachusetts-based nonprofit that provides birthday parties for homeless children. Now in its fifteenth year, Birthday Wishes serves children living in more than 200 family shelters and transitional living facilities across Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Long Island, New York, thanks to some 500 volunteers every month. We have 2 types of birthday party programs: On-Site, which take place monthly at the shelters and celebrate all children celebrating birthdays that month; and Birthday-in-a-Box, which provides a party box and gifts to families living in domestic violence safe shelters, hotels, and scattered sites.
This full-time, exempt position will engage, train, support and retain Birthday Wishes volunteers, ensuring an outstanding volunteer experience. In addition, the Volunteer Engagement Manager will assist in developing new corporate and organization partnerships and service opportunities.
Outreach, Recruitment and Scheduling: Program Volunteers
- Coordinate relationships between BW staff and volunteers including identifying staff needs for volunteers
- Recruit, interview and assign appropriate volunteers for those roles including office volunteers, party coordinators, bakers and party volunteers
- Coordinate and maintain volunteer schedule in an accurate and timely fashion
- Recruit and manage volunteers for BW events including CakeWalk & Birthday Shuffle
Outreach, Recruitment and Scheduling: Corporate Groups & Organizations
- Ensure monthly wrapping, craft building and other program needs are met via corporate service groups and other organizations
- Coordinate and maintain Corporate/Organization Volunteer schedule in an accurate and timely fashion
- Educate new companies and organizations about corporate service opportunities
- Communicate on regular basis with past participating organizations and companies
- Set up volunteer space for service groups, conduct orientation and provide direction during program (supervise volunteer sessions)
- Coordinate Outreach events including tabling and other outreach efforts
Engagement and Training
- Plan volunteer appreciation and engagement activities, including recognizing milestones and special achievements
- Secure free gifts/tickets for use during engagement activities and manage distribution
- Facilitate distribution of orientation and training information and inform volunteers of all pertinent information (general onboarding of all volunteers)
- Plan and Lead Volunteer Information Meetings leading up to key BW events
- Document best practices and policies
- Primary contact for volunteer matching programs such as Volunteer Match
- Contribute to monthly newsletter
- Manage volunteer policies, procedures and standards of volunteer service
- Support social media, web and email initiatives
- Manage all Contact Us email, web and phone inquiries
Data & Reporting
- Track and analyze volunteer data
- Create reports capturing key metrics for volunteer program
- Entering volunteer information into Sales Force and utilizing SF to manage program
General Office/Event Support
- Serve as primary point of contact for all volunteers (groups and individuals) including being on site when volunteers are most often present
- Provide tours and orientations to community members about BW’s mission and goals, activities and volunteer opportunities
- Participate in Birthday Wishes sponsored events, such as CakeWalk and Birthday Shuffle
- Other administrative tasks as necessary
- Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, and internet usage (Microsoft Office, Google Drive)
- Record keeping skills for admissions and marketing (Salesforce experience is a plus! but we will train)
- Detailed organization and planning skills
- A consistent team player who works collaboratively with all staff members.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic. Be a self-starter who takes and follows direction well.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and adherence to strict confidentiality requirements.
Birthday Wishes is housed in approx. 800 square feet on the 2nd floor of a church It employs an open floor plan. The atmosphere ranges from quite to vibrant, depending on the day, with volunteers, drop-offs, pick-ups, and staff, working among the party supplies to carry out the mission.
Generous paid-time off
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Denell Nuese at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.