2300 Arboretum Drive East
The Arboretum Foundation, a non-profit membership organization, has provided stewardship for Washington Park Arboretum since 1935. The Foundation manages membership and volunteer programs, raises funds and provides public information services for the Arboretum. Events and programs include the Opening Night Party at the Northwest Flower & Garden Show, plant sales and a volunteer-managed greenhouse and gift shop. The Foundation raises funds for essential Arboretum operations and activities including arboriculture, maintenance, seasonal gardeners, education programs and collection restoration.
The full-time Development Associate reports to the Development Director and supports the Foundation’s membership program as well as fundraising efforts including Arbor Circle, Planned Giving, commemorative benches, and future Capital Campaigns. Prompt and efficient gift acknowledgement to members and donors is a critical part of the role. The constantly evolving nature of fundraising programs will provide natural opportunities to learn and grow, and the position will require the ability to remain flexible and adaptable in regard to work assignments.
Membership, Arbor Circle, Planned Giving, and other Gifts: (70%):
- Assist in planning and executing major gifts events and programs designed to cultivate and steward relationships with donors, including monthly staffing of Walks and Talks program from April - November.
- Enter gifts in Raiser’s Edge including new and renewed memberships, and reconcile with Director of Finance.
- Prepare regular reports from Raiser’s Edge for membership and gift activities, recognition and events.
- Assist in implementation of broad-based annual giving program, including proven methods around direct and electronic mail and web-based giving.
- Prepare mailing lists, mail package contents, and coordinate with print and mail house vendors.
- Generate acknowledgement letters for all gifts and memberships. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of correspondence, tracking signing, mailing, and electronic filing of copies.
- Serve as administrative support for the general membership and Arbor Circle programs; pledge reminders, membership renewals, recognition lists, events, updates in Raiser’s Edge and other activities.
- Support the major gift prospect identification, research and development of donor profiles, and keep information current in Raiser’s Edge database and paper files.
- Support major gift committee by distributing materials, reserving meeting space, and other general administrative support as requested by the Development Director
- With support from the Events and Operations Coordinator, generate receipts and acknowledgements for event-related gifts.
- Maintain membership marketing materials and donor recognition lists.
- Manage, with the Development Director, the memorial bench & tree programs in the Arboretum.
- Help implement strategies for engaging corporate giving programs and employee payroll deduction giving programs.
- Support the membership program for the Japanese Garden, and manage donor database functions as assigned by the Executive Director.
Grant Writing: (10%)
- Provide support for the Contract Grant Writer and Development Directors which may include:
- Manage ongoing grant applications for programs.
- Research new grant opportunities for the foundation.
- Prepare progress reports for grantors.
Other activities: (20%)
- Serve as backup phone-answerer for the Events and Operations Coordinator during regular office hours, with primary responsibility 1-2 days per week.
· Assist the Events and Operations Coordinator as needed. Tasks may include: maintain systems for the efficient operation of the office; event registration, and maintain electronic (shared) files.
- Support the Executive Director in sending timely information to board members; prepare board materials, and other tasks as assigned.
· Manage data integrity for entering information into Raisers’ Edge.
- Bachelor's or Associates degree
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Office, Adobe Suite, donor management software, and well-versed in the use of social media for development purposes.
- Ability to build rapport with donors, volunteers, and the public with diplomacy, discretion, and customer-service orientation, both in person and on the phone.
- Enjoys working in a team environment and has a proven record of positive contributions to the work of the team.
- Ability to prioritize and adapt quickly to changing needs.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, resourceful, and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent editing, grammar and proofreading skills.
- Motivated self-starter who understands the culture of a non-profit organization.
- Interest in the environment, open space is preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Preferred Requirements/ Experience
· Minimum of two years’ work experience, including database administration
· Experience working in a non-profit setting preferred
· Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
· Salary range: $44,000 - $47,000
· Benefits include medical and dental insurance, vacation & sick leave, 11 paid holidays, employee-contributed retirement plan.
· Position is full-time; ability to work some flexible hours, including occasional evening and weekends events.
How to Apply
Submit electronic resume and cover letter to:
Initial screening will begin August 10th.
Applications accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Benefits include medical and dental insurance, vacation & sick leave, 11 paid holidays, employee-contributed retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required