Health and Public Benefits Counsel/ Senior Manager, Health and Public Benefits
- Job posted by California Immigrant Policy Center
The California Immigrant Policy Center (CIPC) is a non-partisan, non-profit statewide organization founded in response to the 1996 passage of federal immigrant and welfare laws that profoundly affected immigrants. CIPC helps to develop and support pro-immigrant public policy that aims at improving the quality of life for all Californians. CIPC also provides technical assistance, training and education on immigrant issues. Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles (Advancing Justice | LA) fiscally sponsors CIPC.
The Senior Health and Public Benefits (H&PB) position is responsible for spearheading CIPC’s health equity and public benefits access for low-income immigrant and refugee communities. As part of this work, this position will drive CIPC’s legal and legislative strategy and assess the impact of federal and state legislative and regulatory developments on immigrant communities and their families. The position will oversee health and public benefits campaign work including expanding Medi-Cal for responding to federal regulatory changes.
The Senior Health & Public Benefits position will work closely with the Government Affairs Department to develop legislative, budget and administrative advocacy strategy and also support the Health Policy Manager and Health & Public Benefits Campaign Coordinator in their critical work tracking CIPC’s budget and legislative priorities as well as managing CIPC’s leadership on issues pertaining to immigrant health and benefits within coalition spaces and among other partners. The position also supervises the Health Policy Manager.
We prefer the position to be based in Los Angeles. Travel to CIPC’s offices in Sacramento and Oakland is necessary.
- Assess the impact of federal and state legislative and regulatory developments and proposals related to health on low-income immigrant communities and their families;
- Monitor program implementation of new laws and regulations, and make policy recommendations;
- Oversee and assist the Health Policy Manager and the Sacramento based team in tracking health and public benefits legislation;
- Engage in necessary research--collecting data and information on existing policies;
- Identify novel policy approaches to providing health coverage to all residents;
- Write and disseminate publications, fact sheets, analyses, and other written materials;
- Build coalitions among diverse interests, needs, and audiences across the state;
- Act as a resource for and provide trainings and technical assistance to members, community based organizations, and other partners on issues affecting immigrant health;
- Work with the H&PB team and CIPC’s Communications team to develop content for the website, policy materials, and electronic mailers;
- Supervise the Los Angeles-based Health Policy Manager and provide supervision support to the H&PB Campaign Coordinator as needed.
- Minimum of five to eight years of experience in health, public benefits access law or policy and/or immigrant rights;
- Demonstrated commitment in work to ensure health equity for all;
- Ability to speak publicly about health and public benefits work in the context of immigrant rights and the impact of federal or state legislative changes that could affect CIPC’s base;
- Experience analyzing impact of health laws, regulations, and legislative proposals;
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively across internal teams and with external partners;
- Excellent writing, research, and oral communication skills are required;
- J.D. or advanced degree in Public Health, Policy Administration and/or Health-related research, strongly preferred;
- Ability to develop and/or review outreach materials and conduct outreach in Spanish, preferred;
- Ability to facilitate and engage broad coalitions and experience working with diverse communities and audiences, preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. CIPC provides a comprehensive benefits package to its employees, including fully employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement contributions and paid parking. CIPC has a generous holiday and time off policy including flex time off after busy work periods.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position is open immediately until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume and a writing sample via e-mail to the selection committee: email@example.com.
Please note that we will only be able to respond to short listed candidates. Those candidates will be asked to submit 3 references.