The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) is a statewide service, research, policy, program development and capacity building agency. IHR designs its services based on an understanding of the impact of trauma. IHR’s CARF accredited treatment programs provide holistic interventions for hard to reach and high-risk individuals and families. IHR’s mission, since our founding in 1989, has been to develop and support a comprehensive continuum of care for families, individuals, youth, and pregnant and parenting women affected by alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use, violence/trauma, mental health challenges and other health issues, while advancing principles of health equity and social justice. Our work is focused on addressing and eradicating inequities in our health care, economic, and justice systems, especially as they disproportionately affect women and people of color. We are committed to providing services and creating communities that mitigate the effects of substance use, mental illness, and trauma.
The Intake Specialist / Program Assistant will provide essential support to IHR’s clinical programs by fielding referrals and managing the point of entry in the Electronic Health Records and administrative support to the Executive/Assistant Directors.
Note: This position is full-time 40 hours/week position and is based in IHR’s office in Cambridge
Reports to: Director of Operations
The point person for programs that offer behavioral health services to individuals, adolescents, and families across the state. Examples of duties include:
▪ Manage initial intake process for all of the agency’s outpatient programs at four satellite locations:
o Taking phone, fax, and email referrals from clients and other agency sources, including managing referrals for statewide contract with the Department of Children and Families
o Confirming client’s insurance coverage, if applicable
o Manage waitlist of several dozen clients for different programs using IHR’s electronic health records system
o Providing client and provider follow up when necessary
▪ Work closely with individuals and referring agencies through the intake and referral process:
o Act as the primary contact person for state agency representatives, local evaluators, and program staff regarding referral process and other program information
o Communicate regularly with stakeholders, staff, and clients before, during, and after a referral has been placed, if necessary.
▪ Work closely with clinical staff and referring agencies to ensure timely access to services:
o Work with IHR’s FEP Clinical Supervisors to ensure referrals are entered into the electronic health records system and delegated to a clinician in a timely manner
o Work with IHR’s Outpatient Behavioral Health services coordinator and other clinical program directors to ensure timely placement of individuals into outpatient and/or CBHI/BHCA services
o Communicate waitlist times for outpatient programs to clinical supervisors and to clients and providers, as needed.
▪ Consult with billing specialist regularly to ensure that all new clients’ insurance information is accurately entered into the EHR.
▪ Provide excellent customer service and service knowledge
Administrative Support to Executives
▪ Provide administrative support to Executive/Assistant Directors:
o Calendar management and schedule meetings
o Conduct electronic filing, general typing and CV maintenance
o proofread, format, and edit documents, research and information-gathering
o Logistics coordination for travel and/or trainings and other events
▪ Other support as assigned by Executive and Assistant Directors, and Director of Operations
▪ Provide administrative support to program and/or program directors. Examples of duties include:
o Conduct data entry and quality control for supported programs
o Compile, edit, and/or submit reports for supported programs
o Provide support to new and continuing grant application preparation and submission process.
o Provide cross-agency operational support. Examples of duties may include:
§ Assist with special projects related to funding/licensing/accreditation compliance
§ Formatting PowerPoint’s and presentation materials according to established guidelines
§ Provide phone/front desk coverage for the agency’s incoming calls, receiving and directing in-person clients and visitors.
▪ Team Work
▪ Problem Solving
▪ Development and Continual Learning
▪ Adaptability and Flexibility
▪ Valuing Diversity
▪ Customer Focus
▪ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
▪ At least 2 years professional office experience (non-profit experience preferred)
▪ Thorough knowledge of MS Office, especially in formatting and troubleshooting
▪ Experience working with databases to enter and manipulate data
▪ Superior attention to detail and organizational skills
▪ Strong sense of responsibility and ownership of projects
▪ High-energy; productive, proactive, and reliable; ability to multi-task
▪ Ability to prioritize requests and resolve problems
▪ Must possess polished, mature communication skills (written, verbal, phone manner, etc.)
▪ Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, often under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment
▪ Reliable Transportation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
IHR offers a rewarding work environment with competitive salary, generous benefits and a strong commitment to equity and diversity. IHR is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create an inclusive and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Institute for Health and Recovery (IHR) is a statewide service, research…