Director of Talent and Recruitment
Phoenix Charter Academy's mission is to challenge young people in our area with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Phoenix scholars will have the support, resources and training needed to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal.
Phoenix schools challenge resilient, disconnected young people with rigorous academics and relentless supports, so they take ownership of their futures and succeed in high school, college, and as self-sufficient adults.
At Phoenix we do not just accept difference - we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our scholars and the communities we serve. We believe difference makes us stronger. Phoenix Charter Academy is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to making any reasonable accommodation necessary to support an individual's employment.
The Director of Recruitment and Talent is an essential member of the Phoenix team developing talent strategy, advising senior leaders and influencing the organization's strategic priorities. The Director of Recruitment and Talent is directly responsible for finding and recruiting-for-hire diverse, highly-skilled, and mission-aligned instructional and non-instructional staff. In addition to recruiting top talent, a continuous focus on retention and professional development pathways for current Phoenix staff is at the core of the role.
Qualities of a Phoenix staff member:
- Unwavering Belief in Phoenix Scholars - Phoenix staff operate with the deeply held belief that all young people want to and can succeed even in the face of what can seem like insurmountable barriers and societal constraints.
- Ability to Put Scholars First - Phoenix staff go above and beyond to ensure mastery of the skills and development of positive self-identity that will ensure success for college, careers and beyond. Phoenix staff find every opportunity to engage in teaching and learning with scholars, using conflict to build supportive relationships with scholars and never taking things personally.
- Eager to Learn Under Pressure - Phoenix staff must be able to learn as they go in a fast paced, ever evolving, urgent environment. They have the desire to receive direct feedback and the ability to implement the feedback into practice quickly.
- Humility - Phoenix staff approach problem solving with curiosity and desire to understand the perspectives of others. They carry an internalized sense of “I can always learn more” from others, and know that adults at Phoenix must model the qualities of being open-minded and willing to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Experience with Low Income Communities - Staff have the proven ability to work across cultures and experience serving low-income communities and/or academically-disconnected adolescents.
- Ability to Find Inspiration In the Small Things - In the face of challenge and hard work, Phoenix staff must have the ability to find humor, inspiration, success and joy in the day to day interactions with scholars and the larger Phoenix Community.
- Personal Commitment to Cultural Proficiency and Ongoing Development - Phoenix staff are ongoing learners about diversity, equity and inclusion and seek to understand the ways that their self-identity and experiences impacts and interacts with their daily work, colleagues and scholars.
In addition to demonstrating the qualities of a Phoenix staff member, the Director of Recruitment and Talent will be responsible for the following:
- Advise the CEO and senior leadership on talent strengths, opportunities, challenges and threats
- Partner with the finance team to lead the school budgeting process and provide direct support for each Head of School
- Successfully lead and manage special projects through to completion
- Partner with network and school leadership teams in order to understand each school’s unique landscape and context as related to their talent needs
- Oversee the creation of the annual Retention, Feedback and Evaluation Calendar
- Collaborate with network leaders as needed to ensure network and school-based retention metrics are met
- Support the coordination of the network’s 3 year DEI Implementation Plan to ensure metrics and timelines are on target
- Report quarterly to the Board of Directors
- Anticipate the the hiring landscape’s impact on network priorities and work creatively to solve complex recruitment challenges
- Develop competitive and diverse teacher and staff pipelines
- Represent Phoenix externally and support partnership building/collaboration:
- Teach For America
- Teach Western MA
- Boston University Masters Partnership
- Career fairs and other external opportunities
- Offer compelling and effective communication regarding the benefits of choosing the Phoenix Network
- Ensure proactive candidate communication and on-going cultivation throughout the application and interview process
- Lead training and support initiatives for hiring managers ensuring the execution of a rigorous and unbiased interview process
- Ensure positive interview experience for applicants, as well as, involved staff and scholars
- Coordinate hiring logistics across the network’s three campuses - Chelsea, Lawrence, and Springfield
- Design parallel internal and external interview processes that promote equity and transparency
- Maintain the applicant tracking system (TalentED) and all external job postings:
- Latinos for Education
- Support the recruitment of Commonwealth Corps Members as needed
- Deep belief in the mission of Phoenix Charter Academy Network
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 5-7 years of recruitment experience
- Teaching experience preferred
- Model strong judgement and decision-making
- Detail-oriented with superb follow-through
- Proven record of successfully taking initiative
- Growth-oriented mindset: a desire to learn and grow as a professional