9770 Patuxent Woods Drive
The Development Manager will work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy for HopeWorks. HopeWorks’ staff, board and volunteers are invested and engaged in altering the systems and imbalances of power that maintain the status quo - including racism, poverty, and gendered violence. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the root causes of sexual and intimate partner violence, demonstrated expertise in fundraising and special event planning and will be experienced in both written and electronic communications as well as project management. Duties include coordination of special events, production of donor-related communication materials, corporate and donor relations and management of donor database.
- Associates degree, Bachelor’s preferred
- 3- 5 years minimum experience in nonprofit development/fundraising
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Experience and/or comfort and willingness to learn electronic communications including online fundraising, website updates and social media messaging
- Commitment to the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of HopeWorks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and other computer software
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with implementation and expansion of HopeWorks’ annual fundraising strategy, including email campaigns, online fundraising, social media, hard copy mailings, special events, etc.
- Support Fund Development board committee alongside Executive Director, cultivating relationships with board members and providing tools for board to serve as effective fundraisers, including prospect research and written materials
- Maintain annual fundraising tracking chart, donation files, and matching gift requests
- Update donor records in HopeWorks’ database with notes, background information, etc. as known to ensure information is institutionalized
- Process all acknowledgment letters and ensure they are signed and sent in a timely manner
- Stay abreast of trends and best practices in database management, corporate and foundation relations and other related topics to help strategically position efforts and activities
Events / Agency Representation
- Assist with planning and execution of special events including engaging with and supervising volunteers as needed
- Management/oversight of third-party fundraisers
- Serve as organizational representative and spokesperson to external audiences as needed
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of HopeWorks programs and organizational priorities
· Collaborate with other HopeWorks staff to ensure that all departmental activities are cohesive
- Work with program staff to create and maintain a steady stream of ideas and material for articles, success stories, and partner profiles that effectively showcase our programs and accomplishments
- Research and draft project overviews, articles, press releases, briefing materials, talking points, correspondence, and other materials as requested
- Create or edit presentations, graphics, infographics, email blasts, reports, newsletters, and other documents as requested
An individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
Problem Solving Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner as well as skillfully gathers and analyzes information.
Communication: Oral and Written Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or in writing in individual or group situations. Speaks comfortably with a diverse array of individuals and groups.
Judgment Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; and makes timely decisions.
Planning and Organization Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; and develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one's words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior. Selects the words or actions most likely to have the desired effect on the individual or group in question.
Commitment to Social Change Willing and able to explain and engage in community-based activities and efforts that focus on changing social norms, attitudes and behaviors
Diversity Supports and promotes an environment that appreciates and holds opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, nation of origin, culture, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, weight, health status, age or other diversity factors.
Safety and Security Observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, communicate and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply: Applicants must submit a letter of interest and complete resume to:
Jennifer Pollitt Hill
9770 Patuxent Woods Drive, Suite 300
Columbia, MD 21046
NO phone calls
Resumes submitted without a letter of interest will not be reviewed. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will only respond to applicants whose candidacy is being considered.