Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit housing developer and owner devoted to the preservation and long-term stewardship of at-risk affordable housing. POAH’s portfolio includes over 10,000 homes across eleven states and the District of Columbia. POAH has rescued and restored some of America’s most ‘at risk’ rental housing and is recognized for its ability to develop innovative financing structures and to close complex transactions that preserve long-term housing affordability for low- and moderate-income individuals and families.
POAH’s pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation has resulted from a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of ‘at risk’ properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance, energy and water efficient housing, and regulatory reform. POAH recognizes energy conservation as a key element of responsible property ownership and has invested considerable resources in energy efficiency, water conservation and renewable energy.
About the Opportunity
POAH is seeking a Boston-based team member to assist its VP of Design + Building Performance by overseeing and providing guidance on design, durability, health, and energy-related decisions, both for properties in development and in the owned portfolio. The position’s specific and essential tasks include:
· Basis of Design (BOD): Be the “keeper” of POAH’s Basis of Design (BOD). Co-author, manage, distribute, and enforce the use of POAH’s in-house design standards, known as the Basis of Design. Continue to research, publish, and rollout new BOD sections. Host trainings with maintenance staff to increase adoption of the resource and collect feedback. Analyze portfolio purchase data every 6 months and issue compliance reports to property staff. Update and maintain the BOD website.
· Maintenance: Assist with scoping on capital improvement projects.
· Subject Matter Expert: Field questions from property staff relating to building products, systems and materials. Serve as a subject matter expert to reach solutions or establish BOD alternatives for specific scenarios.
· Predesign: Facilitate energy audits. Hire and manage consultants.
· 3rd Party Building Certifications: If a certification is being pursued, hire and manage the consultant. Work with consultant during design and construction to ensure project compliance, and act as POAH’s point of contact.
· Design and Construction Phases: Work in conjunction with development project manager to review Capital Needs Assessments and develop scope of work. Distribute and review Basis of Design (BOD) with architect, engineers and other consultants. Review and advise POAH PM on design and building performance related issues. Review plans and specifications from architect to ensure conformance with BOD. Review select submittals (i.e. MEP, Building Envelope, Windows, HVAC) or submittals that the architect and/or PMs flag because they deviate from the BOD.
· Occupancy: Host resident trainings on new, high efficiency building systems.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and life insurance, a generous earned leave plan, and a 401k plan with company match.
Interested individuals may apply at http://tiny.cc/DesignManager.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit housing developer and owner devoted to the preservation and long-term stewardship of at-risk affordable housing. POAH’s portfolio includes over 10,000 homes…