Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Program Assistant
Department: Senior Services
Reports to: Coordinator – Senior Center
The Program Assistant is responsible for assisting the Senior Center Coordinator by organizing and providing at least one activity daily and providing case assistance services required by the DFTA contract to senior participants daily.
• In consultation with the Senior Center Coordinator, identify, plan, and lead one activity in the center daily.
• Provides support services to clients including, but not limited to the following areas:
• Refers clients who need case management or other in-depth services to appropriate resources.
• Provides information and referrals for Medicare and Medicaid eligibility and enrollment, Social Security eligibility and benefits collection, food stamps, housing services, energy share and other utility assistance programs, and Meals on Wheels programs.
• Provides general assistance participants enrolled in these programs, as well.
• Provides participants with assistance for correspondence, understanding and paying bills, and making appointments.
• Conducts intake and re-assessment for Senior Center participants. Assess participants’ eligibility for benefits and services under various programs for the aging.
• Provides follow-up case assistance related to entitlement and benefits, as needed, and maintain complete and accurate case records.
• Conducts outreach (phone calls, etc.) to all clients who are absent from the center for extended periods to determine the reason for absences, as well as to check on their well-being and satisfaction with the Senior Center.
• Advocates on behalf of seniors with social service and government agencies and mediate as needed with those agencies.
• Attends appropriate training programs as requested by supervisor.
• Compiles statistics, prepare reports, keep attendance, and other required records.
• Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field with experience working with aging populations preferred; or 60+ college credits and four years demonstrated experience working with aging populations.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
• Strong verbal, written, clerical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast paced, challenging and constantly changing environment.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements to: email@example.com. Please indicate Program Assistant in subject of e- mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…