Part Time Temporary
Details: Compensation structure to be determined in consultation with Hiring Manager
50 Broad Street
Mission & Vision
Read Ahead develops in students the social-emotional skills essential for academic and lifelong success through reading-based mentoring. Our vision is that our students have the opportunity to unlock their full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead supports NYC children experiencing the adverse effects of poverty by connecting them to caring adult mentors who increase their chances for healthy social-emotional development. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, mentors give their mentees the confidence, motivation, and improved skills to succeed in school and in life. Read Ahead matches volunteer mentors from over 40 corporate and community partners with public elementary school students, facilitating weekly lunchtime mentoring sessions throughout the school year. In 2017-2018, Read Ahead served 1,000 children and engaged over 1,400 mentors.
About the Position
Read Ahead seeks a Training Consultant with a start date in June to help deliver and improve upon Read Ahead’s existing training curriculum for new volunteer mentors. The Training Consultant will support the delivery of thirty training sessions for new volunteer mentors between mid-July and early October. Training sessions are 90-minutes and held 8:30-10am or after 5pm at locations across Manhattan for groups of 15-40 mentors. The training introduces volunteers to their role as a Read Ahead mentor, including the impact of their work and how to navigate and develop positive mentoring relationships. The position requires expertise in training facilitation and is ideal for someone with a background in youth development, specifically for elementary-age students. The Training Consultant will lead and facilitate training sessions, provide feedback and help to improve the existing training design, and coach program staff on training delivery.
The hiring manager for this position is the Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation.
Training preparation (June - mid-July)
- Meet with program staff during business hours to understand the goals and objectives of Read Ahead’s required training for new mentors
- Provide advice or suggestions for improving the training design
- Guide program staff in training facilitation techniques and best practices
Training delivery (mid-July - early October)
- Lead and facilitate 10-20 training sessions between mid-July and early October, delivering Read Ahead’s curriculum
- Conduct logistical and other training session follow-up as needed and requested, such as tracking training attendance
- Coach individual program staff on training delivery as requested
- Suggest opportunities for improvement for 2019
- Perform other training-related tasks as requested
Skills and qualifications
- Proven experience as a training facilitator
- Knowledge of the field of youth development, specifically for grades K-5
- Knowledge of training techniques and best practices
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written
- Self-directed, with the ability to prepare, communicate, and manage a consulting plan
- Knowledge and experience working in NYC public schools a plus
- Experience with youth mentoring organizations a plus
Schedule and hours to be determined in consultation with supervisor
Read Ahead is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining how your experience and skills make you a fit for this position and a description of your hourly fee or preferred compensation structure to Senior Director, Program Operations, Design, and Evaluation, Ariela Rosenberg-Brafman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Training Consultant” in the subject line. Please note that applications without this information will not be considered. No phone calls please.