4-21 27th Avenue
Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey, Inc. (Goodwill) is a non-sectarian 501(c)3 non-profit organization with the mission to empower individuals with barriers to employment to gain independence through the dignity and power of work. Our diverse programs span New York City, Northern New Jersey, Long Island and upstate New York. We manage a $120 million annual budget, 70 programs at 30 sites and a staff of more than 1,800. In 2016, Goodwill served 60,000 individuals, and placed 6,000 people in competitive employment. Goodwill’s services are designed to help clients prepare for, obtain and retain employment.
Goodwill Industries is currently seeking a Deputy Controller to join Accounting and Finance Department. In this role, the successful candidate will lead Operational Improvement & Staff Development for Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis.
o Departmental thought leader with respect to project management, process management, continuous improvement and financial planning and analysis.
o Assist the CFO and Controller to lead the department.
· People management
o In coordination with controller, facilitate key people management work processes.
o Facilitate the updating/maintenance of job descriptions as roles evolve.
o Administer the staff evaluation process.
o Oversee the creation and execution of staff development plans.
o Identify departmental capabilities that must be developed and manage capacity building efforts.
· Project management
o Organize and manage a variety of projects including annual budget, implementation of new work processes, technology assessment and implementation, and procurement of new services.
o Develop capacity of individual staff members to effectively manage projects.
· Process management
o Assess departmental work processes.
o Identify opportunities to improve processes and drive work efficiency through automation.
o Establish benchmarks for process performance and process for measuring operational performance.
o Establish process efficiencies that enable staff to shift focus from transaction processing to planning and analysis.
o Establish continuous improvement process.
o Consider opportunities to work more effectively with banking partners to streamline treasury operations.
o Oversee two retail fiscal officers and create retail expertise cluster.
o Refine and streamline retail accounting processes.
o Establish retail planning and analysis capacity to support the continued success of retail operations.
· Financial Planning & Analysis
o Lead efforts to perform financial analysis that will inform planning for business units and human services programs.
o Create standard analyses that will be used to routinely assess the financial health of individual programs, businesses, and the organization as a whole.
o Refine and codify the creation of pro forma to model new retail operating models, new stores, and operational investments.
· Facilitate departmental role in the selection and implementation of an ERP system, participating in efforts to define user requirements, select system and coordinate configuration and implementation.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree in nonprofit/business management or accounting.
- Minimum five years of experience in accounting, managing projects and managing staff.
- Demonstrated process management and technology implementation experience.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Strong people skills with an orientation toward coaching team building that will enhance departmental capacity and esprit de corps.
- A creative problem-solver and elf-starter with a record of effectively taking initiative.
- Dynamic, fast learner who is highly organized, analytical and detail oriented
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Navision/Microsoft Dynamics is a plus
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised
Direct oversight of two retail fiscal officers and, as the number 2 person within the department, indirect leadership for the department.
Minimum Education Required