Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Fairfax, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS LEGAL ASSISTANT OR PARALEGAL POSITION?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
· In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
· In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
· That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
· That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
· That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL DOES THE LEGAL ASSISTANT OR PARALEGAL POSITION ENTAIL?
Core responsibilities of the position include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Provide Know Your Rights presentations and consultations to children in ORR custody in Virginia under attorney supervision
· Assist with making referrals to legal service providers around the country for children released from ORR custody
· Assist attorneys in preparing and filing pro se court filings for children in ORR custody
· Provide administrative support to attorneys representing children in ORR custody and/or released to the Northern Virginia area
· Assist with preparation of grant applications, grant administration, and reports
Note that this job requires frequent travel to ORR facilities and courts in or near Richmond, VA and Alexandria, VA. Ayuda reimburses such travel using the federally approved mileage rate.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
· Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment.
· Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
· Experience working with immigrants a plus
· Experience working with children a plus
· Experience working with survivors of trauma a plus
· Bilingual Spanish skills required
· Proficient in Microsoft Office
· Strong organizational and time-management skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team
· Availability to begin work as soon as possible (contingent on funder approval) preferred
· Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience and comes with a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day.
Employees with federal student loan debt may be eligible to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness through the Department of Education. For more information, go to https://myfedloan.org/borrowers/special-programs/pslf.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT:
Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We believe that a diversity of experiences, opinions, and backgrounds is integral to achieving our mission and vision. We celebrate diversity and seek to leverage the passion, energy, and ideas of a culturally diverse team.
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since…
Bilingual Spanish Skills Required
Bilingual Spanish Skills Required