Details: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
401 Bremen Street
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: Paraprofessional/1:1 Aide
Campus/Location: Excel Academy High School
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel is seeking a Paraprofessional/1:1 Aide to:
- Provide 1:1 behavioral & academic support to a student with special needs based on specific needs outlined in their IEP
- Provide inclusion support to student with special needs in General Education, and instructional support to student in Foundational level courses
- Work with staff to develop behavioral intervention plans and implement plans to ensure student's learning and classroom behavior goals are met
- Work with staff to develop and provide academic support plans for student
- Confer and collaborate with teachers to ensure accommodations are met in inclusive settings;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with families to ensure student's success; and
- Provide input for student’s IEP
- A high school diploma or equivalent, AND
- An associate's (or higher) degree; OR
- Completion of 48 credit hours at an Institution of Higher Education; OR
- Completion of one of the formal Massachusetts-endorsed Assessments: Parapro or WorkKeys.
- Experience working with students with substantial behavioral needs;
- Experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- Physical Restraint Training preferred, but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit http://www.excelacademy.org/join-our-team/ to learn more about working at Excel, and/or visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/excel to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.