Special Coordinator to the Chief of Public Affairs and the Senior Director of Government Affairs
- Job posted by KIPP Foundation
District of Columbia
Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 209 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 88,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation – are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
The non-profit KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including: other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
Why work at KIPP?
By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve.
· Support KIPP leaders, teachers, and staff on the Network Leadership Development, KIPP School Leadership Programs, Teaching and Learning Labs, KIPP Through College, or Knowledge Sharing teams
· Ensure smart growth and great results on the Network Growth and Sustainability, Strategy, Research & Evaluation, or Insights and Analytics teams
· Broaden our impact on the Government Affairs, External Impact, Marketing, Development, or Talent teams
· Keep us connected and operational on our IT or Finance team
If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place, join us!
The Special Coordinator will be a key partner to our Chief of Public Affairs and Senior Director of Government Affairs, ensuring they stay organized, streamlining their days and managing their time with incredible efficiency to support their leadership. The Special Coordinator will be a self-starter who takes initiative and thrives in a fast-paced environment. S/he has strong writing skills with ability to prepare draft correspondence and talking points. S/he enjoys juggling multiple big-picture priorities while attending to the smallest details. S/he is a great relationship builder, has strong systems for managing work, has superb attention to detail, prioritizes ruthlessly, and is expert at ‘seeing around corners,’ anticipating upcoming needs and conflicts and resolving them. Equally important, our Special Coordinator will be an exemplar of integrity and confidentiality.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Provides research, writing and analytical support for the Chief of Public Affairs and Senior Director of Government Affairs:
· Conducts research and analysis of data and communicating findings, as requested.
- Researches policy issues, track legislation, and provide written summaries.
- Creates written materials for the Government Affairs team including, but not limited to, preparation memos for Capitol Hill advocacy days, as well as letters and invitations to various events.
· Manages and updates a database of KIPP champions and their connections to policymakers on Capitol Hill.
· Develops and maintains effective communication and working relationships with all contacts, internal and external.
· Prepares for internal and external meetings, including providing supportive research and drafting presentation materials and taking points.
Manages logistics of Government Affairs and Local Advocacy Community Events:
· Schedules, plans and leads logistics for events and briefings on Capitol Hill, including quarterly Capitol Hill advocacy days.
· Plans and drives logistics for engaging KIPP board members in KIPP’s advocacy efforts.
· Assists with outreach and event plans for Congressional and key stakeholder engagement visits to KIPP schools.
· Schedules, note takes during meetings, and shares resources with the local advocacy community.
· Prepares and distributes minutes to relevant parties, as required.
Administrative Support for Chief of Public Affairs and Senior Director of Government Affairs:
· Schedules all appointments, meetings, events, and travel, ensuring accuracy and excellent customer service.
· Manages leadership team meeting schedules. Coordinate logistics for other large group meetings.
· Conducts short and long-term calendar review to ensure calendar accuracy and proactively resolve conflicts.
· Processes time and expense reporting and invoices.
· Prepares and edits documents in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Assists with additional special projects on an ad hoc basis, as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· 5+ years demonstrated experience performing routine and complex tasks in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Outstanding written communication skills including writing, editing, and fact checking information for different audiences
· Proven ability to manage multiple short and long-term projects in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
· Comfort with juggling multiple priorities and managing shifting priorities. Ability to stay ahead of the curve and not lose details.
· Ability to work well in a team environment.
· Persistence, resourcefulness, drive and strong sense of intuition.
· Builds rapport easily with new contacts.
· Positive and proactive attitude. Demonstrated success in a fast paced, results oriented work environment.
· Commitment to high standards of excellence and models KIPP’s values.
· Requires travel ~20 percent of the time largely between New York City and Washington, DC.
· Position can be based in New York City or Washington, DC.
Compensation and Benefits.
KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
Minimum Education Required