30 Lafayette Street
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is an internationally recognized presenter of contemporary performing arts and cinema. We are seeking a part-time Humanities Assistant to assist the Humanities Manager in the research, development and implementation of all humanities programming. Humanities programs include talks, master classes, and other events to engage audiences and contextualize BAM’s main stage productions, along with BAM’s literary programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide event management support for Humanities programs to ensure the smooth preparation for and execution of all humanities events.
- Maintain and update, as needed, all humanities systems and processes to facilitate the clear and timely communication of humanities data and programmatic information across the institution.
- Provide day of event management support, including arranging transportation and hospitality, for humanities programs.
- Maintain accurate lists and calendars of past and upcoming humanities programs.
- Conduct research to support the curation of upcoming programs.
- Process departmental comp and other ticket needs.
- Draft letters of agreement and track agreements and tax documentation forms.
- Track budget expenses and assist Budget Manager in reconciliation of humanities expenses. Create purchase orders and ensure timely payment to artists and vendors.
- Track and maintain all media assets for humanities programming, including selecting representative photos and tracking audio/video highlights. Ensure the transfer of all appropriate materials to the BAM Hamm Archives.
- Compile and proof materials for printed programs and marketing materials.
- Submit signage and other design requests to creative services department according to established timelines.
- Track and maintain attendance data for use by other departments, including grants, marketing, and publications.
- General departmental administrative support, including purchasing office and program supplies, filing, etc.
- Help prepare for, take notes and provide follow up for internal and external meetings, as needed.
- Update standard operating procedure for position to ensure retention of departmental procedures. Attend events throughout the city, as needed, at the request of the Humanities Manager
- Photograph humanities events (as needed)
- Write about humanities events for BAM blog or cover humanities events on social media (as appropriate)
- Interest in and knowledge of BAM’s programming
- Strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Strong research capabilities
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Careful attention to detail
- A self-starter with a strong sense of initiative
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in different time frames
- Investment in working in performing arts management
Pay Rate: $17 per hour, 20-25 hours per week
Check us out on Twitter/Instagram: #BAMCareers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: must complete an online application - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.