Details: Salary range $62,500-$72,500 based on experience, qualifications and fit.
646 Malcolm X Boulevard
The New York City Mission Society’s Development department is launching a new and comprehensive fundraising plan this year in order to lift more New York City families and youth out of poverty through the power of education—including the creation of an innovative charter school. This position is a key facet of that integrated fundraising strategy. The Development team is looking for an entrepreneurial development professional who is excited to see return on his/her/their efforts translate into life-changing educational opportunities for New York’s deserving communities. This is a fast-paced, interdisciplinary position with room for growth for the high-performing incumbent.
The (Development) Engagement Officer, Foundations and Grants is a new revenue-generating role with time balanced approximately 25% in field/off-site engaging foundational partners and 75% in-office with Mission’s development team. The successful candidate will oversee both research into and stewardship for a diverse portfolio of institutional donors. She/he/they will have expert knowledge of foundation funding priorities and help design a new foundations and grants fundraising strategy to best position Mission’s evolving programs and services.
The Engagement Officer, Foundations and Grants will work under the guidance of the Senior Director of Development and engage directly with Mission’s President.
Title: Development Officer, Foundations and Grants
Reports to: Senior Director of Development
Position: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $62,500 - $72,500
- Manage a small portfolio of existing foundation relationships to meet annual fundraising goals
- Continually research and qualify potential and lapsed funders to build a prospect pipeline
- Build relationships with foundation partners for first-time and renewable five and six-figure charitable gifts through phone/email introductions, networking, and face-to-face meetings or presentations to foundation stakeholders as needed
- Maintain excellent communication with funders by providing organizational updates and site visits, monitoring grant-funded projects, and proactively communicating program changes
- Travel to foundation offices as needed
- Work with Senior Director of Development to refine research strategies and strengthen stewardship mechanisms over time
- Work with Senior Director of Development to ensure the grant-funded projects are executed as agreed upon and that foundation recognition or similar stewardship needs are met
- Regularly identify foundation cultivation and stewardship opportunities for President and Senior Director of Development; work with members of Mission’s Board of Directors as needed
Grant Writing and Proposal Development
· Write, edit, and format all grant lifecycle materials for five and six-figure funding requests, such as letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, and grant applications
· Provide writing support to Senior Director of Development as needed
· Build consensus between Development and Programs in order to identify proposal opportunities, reporting strategies, request data, and to clarify necessary outcomes
· Oversee production of proposal materials, such as project budgets, photographs and infographics, application forms, board and staff lists, and cover letters; collaborate with team members to ensure high-quality and on-brand submissions
· Ensure deliverables are completed by internal deadlines and are submitted to funders on time
· Passion for education equality, youth development, and the goal of ending poverty
· 2-4 years of experience securing five and/or six-figure gifts from New York and national foundations, 2-3 years dedicated experience writing grant proposals
· Experience securing institutional gifts for causes in Harlem and The Bronx or from sponsors interested in the education, youth development, human rights, and civics helpful
· Excellent writing skills, a love of storytelling
· Strong attention to detail and equally strong sense of humor
· Excellent customer services skills and the ability to interact comfortably with high-level foundation executives and high-income donors
· Highly organized and comfortable tracking and sharing progress on multiple projects in real-time
· Ability to collaborate and work with others with grace under pressure and meet deadlines
· A curious entrepreneurial mindset and ability to think creatively while also following brand and department guidelines
· Knowledge of moves-management
· Knowledge of social justice, public health, youth-serving nonprofits, and multiple cultural competencies helpful
· Bilingual skills and Spanish a plus
· Ability to travel locally and nationally as requested
· B.A required
General Requirements: All staff is expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Mission Society.
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, life, long term disability insurance, voluntary 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, TransitChek, Employee Wellness Program, Municipal Credit Union membership, voluntary supplemental insurance options.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
APPLY: Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resumes with cover letter and salary requirements to HR@nycmissionsociety.org, Subject: Development Officer, Foundations and Grants
Note: We are unable to accept phone calls. Applicants must meet qualifications stated above. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Visit our website at www.nycmissionsociety.org.
New York City Mission Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.