Details: Estimated schedule of 15-20 hours/week
Mid-South Immigration Advocates (MIA) is seeking a part-time legal assistant for work with unaccompanied children housed in the Nashville area. Qualified candidates must be fluent in English and Spanish, with excellent interpretation and translation skills. A bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred. Candidates must be detail-oriented, compassionate, and have an interest in immigration law. Experience with administrative work or immigration law is preferred, but not required.
· Communicating with Spanish-speaking clients and/or families by phone, including client intake and screening.
· Assisting in client interviews at foster care facility with interpretation or other support as needed.
· Translating Spanish-language documents.
· Sending correspondence to clients (copies of notices, biometrics appointments, or other enclosures as needed).
· Assisting attorneys in opening, closing, and maintaining files as needed, including filing.
· Tracking time for work done on “billable” cases or projects.
· Completing immigration forms or applications under supervision of staff attorneys.
· Conducting "Know Your Rights” (KYR) presentations at foster care facility under attorney supervision.
· Data entry.
This position is perfect for college graduates considering law school, individuals with a social work or political science background interested in immigrants’ rights, or anyone who is organized, thorough, and wants to make a positive impact in the lives of immigrants in the Mid-South. Hourly pay is dependent upon qualifications and experience. Weekly schedule may vary, but we anticipate approximately 15-20 hours of work per week.
Health insurance, paid leave, and retirement plan available
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish and English fluency is REQUIRED for this position.
Minimum Education Required