510 East 141st Street
Description: The American Dream Charter School serves grades 6-12 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, targeting English language learners and immigrant students. The mission of the American Dream School is to develop academic excellence in both Spanish and English, preparing students to excel in college and become leaders in their communities.
Role: The American Dream School is seeking a fully bilingual (Spanish/English) motivated, goal-oriented Geometry Teacher .This is an exciting opportunity to be part of building a school committed to serving English Language Learners and cultivating bilingualism and biliteracy. The Geometry Teacher will operationalize our vision for student success by strategically aligning available resources to meet school-wide needs and advance ADS’s mission in the following key areas: core instructional programs, comprehensive behavioral support services, and expanded learning opportunities. The Geometry Teacher will ensure that ADS fulfills the promise that we have made to our community to become bilingual, bicultural and biliterate leaders in our community.
The candidate should be able to juggle multiple projects and be a self-starter.
Reports to: Head of School/Principal
- Bilingual Spanish/English;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Maintain confidentiality and meets deadlines, complete assignments with consistent accuracy;
- Tech-savvy; familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs/drive;
- Effective verbal, writing and listening skills.
- Knowledge in the latest methodology and pedagogy for teaching Geometry at the high school level.
- A willingness to offer regular intervention and revision sessions for students outside of normal teaching hours(at lunchtimes and after school) throughout the year and especially in the lead up to examinations
- Provides academic advisement that supports college and career readiness for all students, including programming students to take classes appropriate for them
- Communicates and meets with the students’ parents/guardians
- Promotes a sense of urgency in learning
- Planning and facilitation of community meetings and advisory curriculum
- Provide monitoring and academic assistance when needed by teachers
- Supervise and manage students in hallways
- Prepare reports on student academic performance for staff and/or administrators
- Motivates reluctant learners to complete assignments
- Assist in the distribution, collection and grading of tests and homework assignments
- Observe students' performance, and record relevant data to assess progress
- Participate in teacher-parent conferences regarding students’ progress or problems
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs including physical help
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Create meaningful interim assessments that will help drive instruction
- Promote a collaborative, inclusive and supportive learning environment
- Confer and provide feedback to teachers or counselors regarding student assignments, progress, or other relevant issues.
- Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups
- Supervise and manage students in all spaces, upholding ADS core values, rules and policies
- Instruct, maintain, and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and material
- Maintain accurate records and create reports
- Assist with breakfast/lunch duties
- Perform other assigned duties
- Following a co-teaching model
- Create and maintain bulletin boards to showcase student work
- Facilitate “hands-on” experiments and projects that allow students to learn by doing
- Create annual goal for students’ IEP
- Implement and track progress of annual goals of students’ IEPs as it pertains to your content area
- Write progress reports (Present levels of Performance) for students as requested
- Participate in yearly IEP conferences
- Establish appropriate modifications and goals for each student
- Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned American Dream curriculum
- Provide instruction toward the preparation for the Regents exam for all students
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement American Dream’s behavior management system with consistency
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual Teacher Academy
- Collaborate with department members to refine American Dream’s Science curriculum
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards using Illuminate Education, our assessment platform.
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Actively participate in opportunities to strengthen her/his own pedagogical skills as well as contribute to the learning of colleagues
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students to support their academic and non-academic growth and development
- Contribute to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties, responsibilities, and maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your interest in the role and outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Geometry Teacher position. In addition, please describe how the mission of the American Dream School speaks to you.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com explaining your interest in the role and outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Geometry Teacher position. In addition, please describe how the mission of the American Dream School speaks to you. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.