Details: Salary DOE
350 South Grand Avenue
Founded in 1975, Disability Rights Legal Center (DRLC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, public interest advocacy organization that champions the civil rights of people with disabilities as well as those affected by cancer and other serious illnesses. The Cancer Legal Resource Center (CLRC), a program of the Disability Rights Legal Center, is an essential, nation-wide resource for people coping with cancer, providing information and resources on cancer-related legal issues. The CLRC seeks a full-time, bilingual Staff Attorney to start immediately.
The CLRC Staff Attorney will help people living with cancer understand and navigate a complex array of state and federal laws and programs, including laws pertaining to employment, insurance, government benefits, estate planning, and end of life care planning. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to public interest, superior academic credentials, and a desire to help people in crises.
The Staff Attorney, under the supervision of the DRLC Executive Director and the CLRC Director, will be responsible for the following:
• Work with CLRC staff to operate CLRC’s national Telephone Assistance Line, conducting intakes with callers, researching legal questions/concerns, and providing information, education, resources and referrals in a timely manner;
• Coordinate and conduct training and outreach presentations in English and Spanish on cancer-related legal issues to a variety of audiences including cancer patients and survivors, caregivers, health care professionals, and legal professionals;
• Develop written training materials and publications on cancer-related legal issues;
• Train, supervise, and work with law students and volunteers;
• Participate in collaborative efforts and coalitions within the cancer, health, and legal communities, attending meetings, phone calls, conferences, and outreach events;
• Participate in the organization’s policy advocacy efforts;
• Develop and maintain files of resources and contacts;
• Prepare reports, correspondence, and other documents as needed;
• Participate in organizational planning and development to better serve the cancer community;
• Perform other duties as assigned to further the mission of the DRLC.
Note: Occasional travel required, both local and out of state.
• J.D. degree
• Active California State Bar membership - OR- temporary eligibility to practice law as a registered legal services attorney pursuant to Cal. Rule of Court 964 with the intention of taking the California Bar within a year.
• Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish.
• 0-4 years of experience in public interest law,
• Superior academic credentials.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Exceptionally organized, conscientious, self-motivated, with good analytical skills.
• Ability to exercise tact and sensitivity when speaking to people affected by cancer in medical, emotional, and financial crises.
• Ability to explain complicated legal issues to a non-legal audience
• Ability to recognize underlying issues and unspoken concerns.
• Ability to work independently, multi-task, and thrive in fast-paced environment.
• Computer literacy – familiarity with PC, Windows, Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and legal research databases such as Lexis and Westlaw.
• Must have access to transportation and a valid California ID.
• Flexibility for occasional weekend and evening work
Salary/Benefits: Salary DOE. Benefits include health, dental and vision coverage, life and long term disability insurance, 401K, AFLAC eligibility, Flexible Spending Account, 15 days of paid vacation and up to twelve days of paid sick leave per year, California State Bar fees, and paid parking near our downtown Los Angeles office.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish Required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application: Open until filled. Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and 3 references to Anabel Prudencio, Manager of Administration at Anabel.Prudencio@drlcenter.org
Please state in the subject line: CLRC Staff Attorney and your name.
For more information on the Disability Rights Legal Center and its Cancer Legal Resource Center, see www.cancerlegalresources.org.
DRLC is an equal opportunity employer and persons with disabilities, persons of color, women, and other minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.