District of Columbia
Generation is a global youth employment program that helps provide young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Generation is the first program of the McKinsey Social Initiative, a nonprofit founded by McKinsey & Company. Generation US has already launched healthcare, customer service, construction, and IT programs in Pittsburgh, Wilmington, San Jose, San Francisco, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Houston, Jacksonville and Miami.
In February 2017, Generation launched its first customer service program in Washington D.C. The program offers participants integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, social services and mentorship, and a supportive community, as well as job-placement support when they graduate.
We are seeking a talented instructor to teach the curriculum designed by the Generation team. The instructor will report to the Generation DC Program Coordinator and drive two main processes: direct instruction and mentorship.
- Deliver all technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment essential lessons
- Understand individual participant learning needs (and provide individualized education plans, when applicable) to accommodate various types of learning styles
- Administer, grade, and provide feedback on weekly assessments
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by tracking and inputting (in data tool) participant attendance and performance in class and on assessments
- Utilize Generation’s technology platforms (e.g., data tool, GenApp, recruiting tool)
- Build relationships with participants, develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment
- Work with program mentor and Generation staff to identify and address any issues that could prevent participants from completing the program
You are an education expert (e.g. teachers, instructors, trainers) with retail experience, or retail expert with experience instructing/teaching. You have an exceptional ability to tailor content to different learners. You enjoy delivering sessions with energy and enthusiasm to generate excitement about learning new technical and behavioral skills. You build strong relationships with young adults and have a proven record to ensure participants successfully complete the program.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Passion for helping change the life trajectories of unemployed and/or at-risk youth
- Experience teaching, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
Minimum Education Required