ATTORNEY Asian & Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project
- Job posted by Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
Details: DOE with excellent benefits
1550 West 8th Street
Asian & Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $56,000-$69,374/DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: Founded in 1929, LAFLA has approximately 130 employees. LAFLA has an operating budget of more than $16 million and operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
· Active membership in the California State Bar;
· Litigation experience in State or Federal Court;
· Demonstrated knowledge of family law, immigration and/or other poverty law preferred;
· Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively;
· Demonstrated commitment to serving Asian & Pacific Islander (API) immigrant communities;
· Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
· Bilingual in Korean strongly preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
· Maintains an open caseload primarily in the areas of family law, immigration, and other poverty law issues;
· Organizes and coordinates community education and outreach activities regarding LAFLA services to API communities in the greater Los Angeles area;
· Identifies significant legal needs and issues facing API immigrant communities and develops plans, including litigation and policy advocacy, to address those needs and issues; and
· Supervises intake conducted through API language lines and at legal clinics at various locations, including courthouses and community-based organizations.
HOW TO APPLY - Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney-API” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
DOE with excellent benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Korean strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required