Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
56 Warren St.
The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) is a national non-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter to promote economic development in America’s inner cities through private sector engagement that leads to job, income and wealth creation for local residents. ICIC brings together business and civic leaders to drive innovation and action, transform thinking, and accelerate inner city business growth. ICIC’s research highlights the competitive advantages of inner cities and informs its advisory practice. At ICIC, you will work with talented, creative and committed professionals in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation.
ICIC is seeking a high-performing full-time Research Analyst who will work closely with senior research and advisory staff to support an advisory project on industry clusters in multiple cities and regions, including qualitative and quantitative data analysis and writing and editing reports. This position is grant-funded for an initial period of nine months. Subject to mutual agreement and the availability of continued funding, this position may be converted to permanent status and expanded to include other advisory work on urban economic development and business growth. The Research Analyst will report directly to the Senior Vice President and Director of Research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct primary research using surveys, interviews and qualitative analysis
- Compile and synthesize data and information from public and private sources, including literature reviews using secondary data sources
- Perform quantitative analysis involving large and small data sets and support management of databases and data sets
- Conduct basic mapping using ArcGIS
- Support senior staff with applied research projects from idea stage through completion
- Support senior staff with writing business development and grant proposals
- Prepare reports and presentation materials for external and internal audiences, including writing, editing and dissemination
- Develop and support design of data visualizations and infographics
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance. Open to all majors with coursework in the social sciences or related fields, such as Economics, Business, Geography, Urban Planning, Political Science, Sociology, or a similar discipline
- Some experience in a prior research or consulting position desired
- Demonstrated experience conducting primary and secondary qualitative research, including conducting interviews and synthesizing findings
- Demonstrated experience using and analyzing data sets, including major public data sets such as Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and Bureau of Economic Analysis data sets
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, including ability to accurately and concisely summarize and synthesize complex information
- Strong analytical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and familiarity with ArcGIS
- Ability to creatively visualize data and information, including proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint. Basic Adobe Creative Suite skills are also desired
- Ability to work collaboratively with peers across business units
- Demonstrated ability to work on projects independently
- Flexibility with changing priorities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and a diverse set of projects and successfully meet deadlines
- Ability to travel up to 15% of year
A successful candidate will be passionate about the work that we do at ICIC and passionate about research and analytics. They will be knowledgeable about economic development issues. They will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, have the ability to think beyond the task at hand and take initiative to ensure a project is completed successfully. They will be willing to periodically work beyond conventional hours and will be comfortable working in a flat, multi-disciplinary structure. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated capacity for teamwork.
ICIC is the right place for you if you want to work in a dynamic and professional environment in an organization that is committed to improving the lives of inner city residents. You will be exposed to unique research opportunities and work closely with our clients across the country. Your internal growth and development will be determined by your contribution to the organization’s success as a whole.
This is a full-time position based in ICIC’s office in Boston, MA. ICIC is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required