The Tishman Environment and Design Center at The New School is a university-wide center that fosters the integration of bold design, policy, and social justice approaches to environmental systems to advance just and sustainable outcomes in collaboration with communities. At the Tishman Center and The New School, sustainability is truly cross-disciplinary, incorporating a collaborative space that brings together stakeholders from a variety of disciplines, schools, and populations.
The Assistant Director will support the administration and programs of the Tishman Center, and develop projects designed to achieve the goals laid out in the Center’s Strategic Plan and the university’s Climate Action Plan. The Assistant Director will be the Center’s primary liaison to other offices and departments throughout the university for the sake of collaborating to advance a culture of sustainability and environmental justice on campus and in the surrounding community.
- Work with Directors to provide leadership on strategic goals, engagement with affiliated faculty and curriculum development in collaboration with the Centers’ affiliated faculty and advisory board.
- Assist in defining goals, performance metrics and annual strategic programming for the Tishman Environment and Design Center
- Monitor, evaluate and report annually on the Center’s mission, strategic goals and priorities, document performance trends, and recommend and implement modifications to improve the Center’s effectiveness.
- Represent or communicate the Tishman Center’s programs to the University community (faculty, staff, students, and alumni);
- Liaise with groups, programs, offices and departments across the University to achieve Tishman Center’s strategic goals and objectives; serve on various sustainability and justice related committees as assigned by Tishman Center leadership.
- Represent the Tishman Center’s programs to the public; attend professional meetings as appropriate; interface with external organizations to fulfill the mission of Tishman Center and support collaborative efforts with external partners and Tishman Center affiliated faculty and students
- Research, disseminate and implement best practices from other institutions with regards to sustainability and environmental justice that can be applied to The New School.
- Supervise student Office Assistants coordinating: (1) campus programming and activities related to sustainability, including public events and conferences (2) communications and event planning (3) Research Assistants who are supporting Tishman Center projects.
- Maintain cohesion and communication with associated faculty, students, community partners and executive leadership
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree with 5 years relevant experience
- Passionate commitment to environmental justice and sustainability
- Experience in project, program and event management
- Understanding of work within an organization’s multiple levels
- Leadership, administrative and relationship management experience
- Strong communications, writing, marketing and social media skills
- Excellent computing skills, including MS Office and Google apps
- Highly organized and able to think strategically and creatively to initiate projects, solve problems;
- Self-motivated and proactive; Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Work well under pressure, meet deadlines and attend to details
- Writing samples required
- Master’s degree in the field of environment and sustainability, management, or related area
Minimum Education Required