40 Worth Street
SENIOR ASSOCIATE, GRANTS MANAGEMENT
Acumen’s fundraising team is looking for a dynamic self-starter with 4-6 years’ experience in writing, securing, and managing grants, with good project management abilities, superior attention to detail, and a strong personal interest in tackling global poverty.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $115 million in 113 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills, and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About the role
Acumen’s Business Development team is the fundraising engine that fuels Acumen’s work. In collaboration with the team, you will be responsible for managing and growing a grant portfolio of ~10M USD. Your role is to drive strategic and effective management and oversight of Acumen’s global grants applications, including budgeting, monitoring, and reporting.
We are looking for an experienced grant writer, excellent project manager and relationship builder, and enthusiastic team player. You cast your gaze beyond Business Development, toward a broader understanding of the programs we seek to fund. You can carefully manage and execute multiple projects simultaneously while coordinating internal stakeholders toward a shared outcome on a well-planned timetable. Equally important: you are passionate and committed to Acumen’s mission.
Manage Acumen’s global grants process:
- Understand Acumen’s programs and help align fundraising asks to strategic vision and programmatic needs; serve as point of contact for and facilitate grant applications and reporting; help construct grant narratives; coordinate relationships to produce a coherent narrative that is supported by the appropriate information and data sets.
Manage Acumen’s grants portfolio:
- Maintain global grants records and calendar of reports in Salesforce and our internal knowledge-management system
- Understand the dependencies between budgets / actuals / spends, reporting, and how grants and our financial software interact
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders: with our Program teams to effectively align funding with activities; with our Finance team to evaluate, review, and update budgets; with our Legal team to ensure sound agreements and contracts, appropriate handling and use of data collection, and compliance with regulations and Foundation requirements for grants; with Communications to make sure the narrative is brand consistent.
- Collaborate with grantors: coordinate due diligence and information requests from grantors
Design, implement, and train global team in monitoring systems:
- Implement and train team on systems for streamlined grants management and reporting
- Define best practices, training, resource materials, and coaching to teams working on grant projects
- Ensure all grant-handling staff are properly trained on and informed of grant requirements for programs they are working on
This position is for someone who delights in a fast-paced, mission-driven, ever-changing environment.
- 4-6 years' experience; bachelor degree required
- Experience in grant writing, budgeting, basic financial modelling, and excel skills
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and data analysis, ideally including management of donor monitoring tools such as logframes, international transparency initiatives, impact indicators, etc.
- An enthusiasm for project management, system design, and implementing processes for multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work across cultures and geographies
- Superior detail orientation, without losing sight of the strategic vision
- Curiosity and coachability; someone who is self-motivated and hungry to learn
- Permanent US Work Authorization
Additional characteristics we seek for all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve.
- A sense of humor (really).
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and responses to the following questions here:
- Why Acumen? What draws you here? (Max 200 words)
- Describe a situation in which you had to manage a process in an uncertain and fast-paced environment. How did you navigate the ambiguity while engaging stakeholders? (Max 300 words)
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; deadline to apply is September 14, 2018.