170 Central Park West
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. New-York Historical is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
Responsible for the effective coordination of the Development Department’s calendar of stewardship and cultivation events, and the execution of a selection of these events, as well as the stewardship and cultivation of new and existing corporate partners. The position reports to the Director of Development.
Event Coordination and Execution
Coordinate a robust Development Events calendar, working closely with department staff to track event planning and monitor the timely execution of logistics leading up to, during, and after each event. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining the master Development Events calendar
- Coordinating the Development Events calendar across all New-York Historical departments and sending institution-wide memos before events
- Organizing weekly check-in meetings with Development VP and Directors to discuss all upcoming cultivation and stewardship events
- Maintaining/refining the Development Department’s standard operating procedures for internal events, including the process of: creating, designing, printing and emailing/mailing invitations; developing invitation lists; arranging catering, décor, and other elements; day-of logistics; and follow-ups
- Working closely with the staff member assigned to be the Captain of each Development event to facilitate effective event implementation
- Assisting in the development of thorough invitation lists
- Serving as Event Captain for Museum Opening Night parties/receptions
- Serving as Event Captain for other cultivation and stewardship events, as assigned
Support the Director of Development in the cultivation of new corporate supporters and stewardship of existing sponsors to meet/exceed the annual fundraising goals for operations and new programs. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as day-to-day contact for New-York Historical’s Corporate Member companies
- Provide concierge service for Member requests
- Track annual renewals calendar; prepare renewal requests and benefits packages
- Conducting research on new corporate sponsors
- Planning and executing corporate site visits and meetings, as assigned
- Drafting written requests and other general or personalized printed or online sponsor solicitation materials
- Monitoring delivery of sponsorship benefits to active partners
- Preparing thorough sponsorship reports upon conclusion of a partnership
Other Stewardship Responsibilities
- Maintain a complete database of approved donor recognition language, assisting in the approval process for credits on all institutional materials and campaigns as required
- Ensure accurate donor and prospect records in department database, as assigned
- Produce reports on institutional donor activity, including but not limited to LYBUNT, upcoming renewals, unacknowledged gifts, progress toward goals, etc., as assigned
- Assist at most evening events and other activities when needed
- Anything else necessary to advance fundraising at New-York Historical Society
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and one-to-two years of related experience in Development. The successful candidate will have high levels of initiative and energy. Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills are required, as is the ability to work regular evening and occasional weekend events. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and with exceptional accuracy in a very fast paced environment. A strong, friendly customer service attitude must be balanced with a rigorous approach to back office processes. Kindness is mandatory; sense of humor a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift (up to 25 lbs), bend, stoop, walk and stand for 4-6 hours daily. Occasional sedentary computer work required
Full benefits package included.
Minimum Education Required