2030 Harrison Street, 3rd Floor
DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Aim High seeks an enthusiastic and experienced fundraiser to join the agency's dynamic and growing
development department. The Deputy Director of Development is responsible for designing strategies,
overseeing implementation, and developing systems that enable Aim High’s Development team to
maximize its effectiveness, particularly around individual giving processes and planning. The Deputy
Director of Development manages three members of the development team, a group that raises more
than $6 million annually from private philanthropic sources. This position will report to the Director of
Development and also work in close collaboration with the Executive Director. To apply, please email
your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Strategy and Operations
● Design, create and launch the systems, processes, communications and tools necessary to
enable the development team to function in an optimized way.
● Oversee daily development operations including database management, mass communications,
mail appeals; liaise with Finance on budgeting, forecasting and grant reporting.
● Design stewardship, renewal, and communication strategies for existing donors; leverage
external-facing fundraisers and board members in the process.
● Ensure external-facing fundraisers (Executive Director and Director of Development) are
prepared and supported to cultivate, steward and upgrade board members, board prospects,
major donors and key institutional partners & prospects.
● Maintain Aim High’s “culture of gratitude” by developing systems to ensure donors are being
thanked quickly and thoughtfully.
● Lead twice-monthly team meetings and ensure appropriate follow up on action items.
● Manage and develop three associate/manager level individual contributors (Communications
Manager, Senior Development Associate and Development Associate).
● Oversee the management and integrity of the Salesforce database as it pertains to
development; collaborate with Senior Development Associate to provide accurate reports, lists,
and data analysis on fundraising progress year-to-date and over time.
● Develop and maintain a personal portfolio of 30-50 individual donors who collectively
● Develop and implement a clearer, scalable and more efficient moves management system to
support and grow revenue from individual donors, with an emphasis on high donor retention
● Support the work of the board; help lead and facilitate the board’s development committee
meetings and activities.
● Strategic Thinking - Take into account and analyze various points of view and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context.
● Quantitative Analysis - Review quantitative data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions.
● Managing Change - Demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
● Project Management - Identify the steps of a project, set appropriate deadlines, identify required participants, and hold self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines.
● Initiative - Proactively create and/or follow through on new ideas and strategies.
● Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 5-7 years fundraising experience.
Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive development strategy.
Strategic thinker and communicator who can conceptualize, design and lead the
implementation of team-wide systems and strategies.
Track record of creating right-sized systems that enable work to flow smoothly and predictably
without overburdening the team with process
Exemplify Aim High’s CORE values of Community, Opportunity, Respect and High Expectations
● Reports to: Director of Development
● Job Location: San Francisco, CA 94110
● Classification: Exempt
● Hours/Week: 40 Hours with some evenings and weekends.
● Competitive salary commensurate with experience
● Benefits include medical, dental, vision, retirement, paid sick leave and generous vacation
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aim High is an equal opportunity employer. Aim High seeks diversity in its community and affords equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, citizenship status, medical condition, or any other legally protected status.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, retirement, paid sick leave and generous vacation.
Minimum Education Required