Location: New York City
Details: Job function: Business Administration and Event Production
Areas of focus: Arts, Performance, Entertainment, Non-Profit Management
Organization Description: The Moth – hailed as “New York’s hottest and hippest literary ticket” by The Wall Street Journal – is an acclaimed not-for-profit organization dedicated to the art and craft of storytelling. The Moth has presented more than thirty thousand stories, told live and without notes, by people from all walks of life to standing-room-only crowds worldwide.
Position Overview: The Moth seeks a vibrant professional to join our production team as a full-time Assistant Director of Production. The Assistant Director of Production will work closely with the Director of Production to negotiate all aspects of Mainstage and StorySLAM (open-mic) production, including event contracts and budgets.
The primary focus of this role is the business administration side of production and relationship building. Producer will train to be first point-of contact with event inquiries and possible collaborators.
The Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate has at least seven years of experience as a project manager in production and/or non-profit management. This candidate should possess a strong command of Excel spreadsheets and budgets, as well as a passion for contract negotiation, data-driven decision making, and, most importantly, relationship and team-building. The ideal candidate will have a track-record of innovative event programming within varied communities in New York City and/or worldwide. Candidates should be familiar with The Moth’s programming and believe in the power of story to deepen the dialogue on being human.
- Assess viability of Mainstage partnerships, including new business inquiries
- Strategically approach potential new collaborators for Mainstage and StorySLAM series
- Scout venues as needed
- Brainstorm and implement plan to expand The Moth’s audience
- Assist in development and quarterly reforecasting of annual budgets for Mainstage and StorySLAM series
- Negotiate Mainstage contracts, including contract renewals and pitching events to new partners
- Review SLAM contracts to ensure legal compliance and proper scheduling
- Negotiate annual contracts with radio partners
- Work closely with SLAM and Mainstage producers to ensure proper ticketing and promotional calendar/deadlines for events
- Manage merchandise inventory and sales
Career Trajectory: This position reports directly to The Moth’s Director of Production and collaborates with The Moth’s executive team, including the artistic director. The Assistant Director of Production is tracked to eventually promote to Deputy Director of Production, which would include management of the production team. This position is fully situated on the production track, and only persons with a deep interest in the business administration side of production should apply. The Moth is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally vibrant team and strongly encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in the subject line: Assistant Director of Production. Application window will close at 6pm on Friday, March 2nd.