District of Columbia
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
A teacher at YouthBuild PCS is responsible for creating a supportive, empowering learning environment. A teacher’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Curriculum and InstructionTeach adult basic education (ABE) and/or post-secondary level classes to prepare students for the GED and successful transition into post-secondary education or the workforce
- Adopt and implement a blended-learning model that is highly individualized to students
- Collaborate on curriculum development including but not limited to curriculum mapping; arranging school-wide themes; and researching, experimenting with, and monitoring curriculum design
- Prepare and deliver enticing and rigorous lessons that challenge students’ critical thinking and are aligned with the GED
- Coordinate lesson plans with other teachers to maximize collaboration and student learning
- Differentiate instruction to accommodate multiple learning styles and abilities, including special education students and English language learners
- Maintain classroom environment based on principles of positive youth development
- Commit to ongoing professional development in techniques for teaching disconnected and opportunity youth
- Participate in professional learning circles and/or peer coaching sessions.
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from staff
- AssessmentAssess students’ ABE academic growth using on-line tools
- Track and monitor assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design individual learning plans
- School CultureCreate a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations and provides opportunities for all students to experience success
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with students and colleagues
- Communicate with students and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:Bachelor’s degree required. Concentration or advanced degree in education preferred
- Two or more years of experience teaching the subject area they will lead, preferably including knowledge of and experience with the revised GED
- A demonstrated ability to provide engaging and developmentally appropriate instruction while maintaining strong classroom culture
- A commitment to regularly assessing student progress and using data to strengthen student performance
- Demonstrated ability and experience to engage the interest of adult learners and work with diverse adult learners, including those with special needs
- Familiarity with youth development principles and alternative high schools
- Strong cultural competency skills, including excellent ability to communicate with a diverse population
- Proficiency in Spanish required for Spanish GED program, only
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.