475 Riverside Drive
POSITION: Youth Care Worker, Safe Haven for Children Shelter and
Short-Term Foster Care Program
REPORTS TO: Program Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Part Time or Contingent
STATUS: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The Lutheran Safe Haven for Children Shelter and Short-Term Foster Care Program is a 24-hour program serving young persons in immigration custody who are awaiting release to their sponsors. The Youth Care Worker provides oversight and support to these young persons. The Youth Care Worker also assists the Case Managers in identifying appropriate sponsors to whom the young persons may be released and flags any concerns found with potential sponsors with the Federal Field Specialist. The Youth Care Worker is also responsible for assisting the Safe Haven for Children Shelter Case Managers to ensure that each young person in shelter care is receiving essential services such as: medical, mental health, and dental care, basic education, orientation, and legal screening.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Pick up young persons from airport or other transportation hubs and bring them to shelter.
· Arrange for medical services, health screening, and mental health assessment of young persons.
· Assist potential sponsors with completion of family reunification packets and refer them to fingerprinting.
· Monitor and supervise young persons at all times.
· Assist in meal preparation for young persons.
· Encourage young persons to maintain the home, perform appropriate chores and participate in shopping, meal preparation, and other household routines.
· Guide young persons on activities of daily living, including good personal hygiene.
· Arrange and accompany young persons to appointments and recreational activities as needed.
· Record in full detail all pertinent information in applicable databases and logs prior to ending each shift.
· Record all movements within the database and/or unit log.
· Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations, including but not limited to HIPAA.
· Adhere to program guidelines and schedules.
· Enforce all safety rules and regulations in accordance with agency policies and procedures, and ensure that young persons comply with established house rules.
· Document and report all major and minor incidents in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
· Ensure that unit keys remain in the possession of shelter staff members only.
· Provide a stable, abuse- and drug-free environment.
· Perform other duties as required by direct supervisor or needs of the program/agency.
· On-call 24 hours (where applicable).
· High School Diploma/GED or relevant certification as determined by program
· Bilingual in English and Spanish
· Literate in English
· Three years’ experience working with immigrant children or adolescents
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER:
· Driver’s License
· Good communication and writing skills
· Ability to work collaboratively with young persons and co-workers
· Knowledgeable about working with immigrant youth
· Superior organizational skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; resourceful; ability to manage time effectively and multi-task
· Ability to exercise enormous amount of patience and good judgment
· Knowledgeable about appropriate ACS/OCFS regulations regarding disciplinary actions
· Experience and facility with Microsoft Office Applications
· Ability to work flexible hours as needed
· CPR-Certified a plus
· NYS-Certified to prepare food a plus
Proficient in English and Spanish
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please click on this link to complete the application for the Youth Care Worker position.
----LSSNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer----