Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Managing Director, Communications to lead the organization’s communications strategy to elevate climate and clean energy solutions in the political conversation and identify opportunities to shift the national political narrative. The Managing Director for Communications will work with the senior management team to set campaign priorities and manage Climate Power’s communications team and consultants.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Create, manage and execute communications strategies to win the politics of climate and embolden policymakers to take climate action. Conduct frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists, and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants: Manage Climate Power communications staff, as well as a team of outside consultants, and direct day to day operation and strategy.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Work closely across the organization to ensure a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts.
- Build a nimble communications operation: Identify rapid response opportunities and prioritize response to developing news stories and manage press and surrogate outreach.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with senior staff and campaigns team to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s Advisory Board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Engage diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and people impacted by climate change for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Collaborate with climate movement: Build relationships with communications teams of other organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners, including celebrities; and engage in campaign pushes.
- Evaluating results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team; establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjust strategies when necessary.
Requirements & Qualifications
- 8+ years of communications experience including advocacy campaign experience. Climate experience is a plus.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
This full time exempt position reports to Climate Power’s Deputy Executive Director.
Climate Power is a fiscally sponsored project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) and Fund for a Better Future (FBF). RLF and FBF are equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Pay for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The salary range for this position starts at $136,000. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, and generous paid time off.