About Fair Trade USA:
Fair Trade USA, a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine's Social Capitalist award, promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. We are an entrepreneurial, non-profit organization and the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the U.S. Our unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farming families in the developing world to more than 1,000 leading global companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships.
About the position:
This is a full time position for an experienced and dynamic candidate with excellent technical standards writing skills and industry knowledge. Join part of a fun, fast-paced and growing organization that is developing exciting new programs for farmers and workers.
The Standards team defines program requirements for the partners participating in our system. In this role, you will join the Standards team to establish and execute strategies for maintaining and growing the factory program with credibility. You will lead all work related to the Apparel & Home Goods Standard, support Standards program strategy and management, and support the development of other Standards for Fair Trade USA. This work includes the creation and revision of Standards, compliance criteria, policies and related guidance material. As the owner of the Apparel & Home Goods Standard you will act as the subject matter expert in supporting overarching development between products and functions, ensuring balanced decision making in determining the final Standard and supporting tools. You will be writing clear and auditable Standards, criteria and policies in line with the objectives of Fair Trade, and will contribute to the various mission-driven projects in the organization. The Senior Manager also supervises staff and consultants contributing to the Factory Standards efforts.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Update and maintain strategy for the Factory Standard that meets program needs and impact objectives. Set and manage against clear timelines for delivery of standards, policies and supporting documentation to meet the strategy.
- Lead Factory Standard revisions, including standards and policy writing, stakeholder engagement, public consultation, field tests, roll-out, and associated communications.
- Design and facilitate public consultations on draft standards that are created using a variety of participation methods.
- Lead the development of policies, tools and guidance to accompany Standards to ensure accurate interpretation and implementation.
- Identify and engage with stakeholders to enrich the standard revision process as well as to ensure team awareness and expertise on key issues, trends, and industry norms.
- Support the development of training tools for staff who support factories in understanding compliance requirements, as well as for auditors.
- Effectively contribute as a team member, supporting peers and providing insights and solutions to help improve impact and fostering cross-departmental collaboration.
- Supervise and manage staff and consultants.
- Support and/or lead cross-cutting Standards special projects as needed.
- Contribute to overarching Standards and Impact team strategy and management.
- Six to eight years of relevant experience working within a standards setting, certification or compliance, stakeholder engagement, technical writing or development capacity; preferably in the social and environmental arena.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field such as social responsibility or supply chain management.
- Good understanding of apparel supply chains, manufacturing processes, industry sustainability strategies and the related potential for social, economic, and environmental impacts.
- Strategic, business process-oriented thinker and an excellent mind for risk management.
- Demonstrated strength managing both people and processes, and an ability to work well with all levels of staff including executives as well a broad range of stakeholders and partners.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating stakeholder consultations and addressing sensitive topics with diplomacy.
- Experience collecting and processing feedback from a very broad audience using a variety of tools (email, webinars, surveys, strategic conference calls etc).
- Proven ability to make recommendations balancing a variety of stakeholder interests.
- Detail-oriented, logical, systematic, methodical, and highly organized.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills as well as capacity for communicating respectfully and effectively with non-native English speakers.
- Fluency in Hindi, Mandarin, Vietnamese and/or Spanish always a plus.
- Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly via key performance indicators.
- Self-starter/learner able to work independently.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and internet applications.
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Hindi, Mandarin, Vietnamese and/or Spanish always a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Katherine Bostick, VP of Standards & Impact.