Communications Director at NYU Furman Center
- Job posted by NYU Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy
Details: Commensurate with experience
The Communications Director leads the NYU Furman Center’s brand development and media strategy, and is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to communicate the Center’s research to a broad audience. This involves translating and disseminating the Center’s research to key stakeholder audiences—including policymakers, practitioners, media, and the public. The Communications Director leads the strategic thinking about how best to present the Center’s work in new formats and mediums. The Communications Director also serves as brand steward for the organization, and serves as a member of the NYU Furman Center’s leadership team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Strategic Communications Planning: In close concert with the leadership team, develop and implement the NYU Furman Center’s communications strategy, setting goals and monitoring benchmarks related to web presence (including social media) and media relations.
- Content Strategy, Development, and Management: Manage the organization-wide editorial calendar. Oversee the planning and production of external and internal communications products. Work with others in the organization to build internal and external content for dissemination across various communications platforms.
- Media and External Relations: Develop and maintain strong relationships with members of the media focused on urban and housing issues. Serve as key point of contact in pitching, disseminating research through earned media campaigns, and leading proactive and reactive media campaigns. Work with NYU Furman Center Policy Director and project teams to design and implement outreach plans (focused on media, stakeholders, and policymakers) for research projects.
- Brand Management: Serve as brand steward for the organization, maintaining the NYU Furman Center’s website and style guide. Ensure that all public-facing content—including web, print, and other content—meets the organization’s rigorous quality and design standards. Manage design aspects of NYU Furman Center research projects, including reports, presentations, data visualizations, and website content.
- Leadership: Serve on the NYU Furman Center’s leadership team, and supervise/mentor communications/policy staff and graduate students to help implement the Center’s communications work.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in urban planning, public policy, journalism, or related field, and 5 years work experience in communications, external affairs, public relations, or similar positions, or bachelor’s degree and 10 years relevant work experience, required. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to multi-task and problem solve, and strong organizational and team-management skills.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on housing policy or urban policy issues; deep experience with integrated communications planning, particularly media relations; and comfort communicating complex quantitative findings and legal concepts to a diverse audience.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
The position comes with a salary and a generous array of benefits, which include medical, dental, and vision. Further information regarding benefits can be found here: http://www.nyu.edu/employees/benefit/full-time/Professional-Research-Staff-Code-103.html.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, graduate school transcripts if applicable (unofficial copies are acceptable), and list of three references. Send application materials and questions to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Director” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately. Only candidates of interest will be contacted.