ACE: Believe. Belong. Become.
ACE serves 5th-12th grade students at 3 middle schools and 1 High School in East San Jose. Founded through community organizing, ACE strategically recruits students and families that haven’t felt like they belonged at school. As a result, 91% of our students are considered low-income, 20% of students qualify for special education services, and 50-60% are classified as English-Learners. After 12 years, our model is seeing results: 100% of the ACE High School seniors meet a-g eligibility requirements for CSU/UC compared with 35% across the state.
Our relationship-driven, community-focused approach embodies our tagline: “Grow Everyone Everyday.” As Irene Moran Iboa, parent and ACE board member, said best, “The journey at ACE has been one of (re) discovering the significance of generosity and humility in being a leader and the power of audacity and integrity in making dreams come true. ACE not only just changed my kids’ life, but it changed mine. Now I know that my kids can have a better future and attend a college or university [because of ACE].”
ACE is looking for a strategic leader with a deep understanding of fundraising and philanthropy to help us achieve the ambitious ACE mission. Reporting to the CEO, the Development Director will develop and execute a multi-year fundraising plan and strategies designed to achieve ACE’s strategic plan, lead marketing and communication strategies to increase brand visibility, and establish systems and processes to institutionalize best practices. The Development Director will work closely with the Board and committees to grow and diversify donors and revenue including launching ACE’s first major giving program.
As part of the executive leadership team, the Development Director also serves as a trusted senior advisor and engages in strategic and operational planning for ACE, and partners with the CFO on budget and revenue planning and analysis. The ideal candidate is an innovative fundraiser who can position the organization to thrive in a rapidly evolving and competitive environment. You are resourceful, comfortable operating in ambiguity and managing up, and believe deeply in ACE’s mission: that all students can succeed.
Development and Fundraising
- Develop and lead organizational fundraising strategy and implementation plan to grow current annual fundraising goal of $2M to $4M over the next 3 years to fund program operations, deepened community engagement and innovation.
- Manage a portfolio of high-net worth donors and prospects, developing and implementing tailored cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans.
- Launch a major giving program to identify, engage and cultivate a pipeline of prospects that can make annual gifts of $10,000+.
- Engage and mobilize the Board Development Committee and Leadership Council to engage in effective solicitations and other fundraising activities, particularly prospect generation and major donor engagement.
- Reimagine the annual fundraising event to sustain the event fundraising goal, retain and grow existing sponsors and secure new sponsors.
- Evaluate progress toward goals and provide regular reporting to CEO and the ACE Board.
- Establish systems, processes, and tools to maximize fundraising capacity including CRM database management and budget creation and management.
- Work closely with Communications and Development Manager to submit compelling and timely grant proposals, reports, executive correspondence, presentations, etc.
Marketing & Communications
- In partnership with the CEO, define ACE’s brand and develop a strategy to build clear narrative, brand awareness and equity.
- Lead cross-functional collaboration across ACE to ensure all marketing and communications are representative of and aligned with ACE’s values and target population.
- Develop benchmarks and a KPI framework to measure the success of brand strategy and implementation plan.
- Develop innovative communication strategies and identify compelling storytelling opportunities to increase external awareness across diverse stakeholders.
- Partner with a Marketing firm to develop creative collateral with clear, concise key messaging.
- Serve as a member of ACE’s Executive Team to ensure departmental and organizational goals are met and participate in strategic and operational planning.
- Oversee the development of a best in class donor program.
- Coach, train and manage Communications and Development Manager.
- Build development team required to achieve ACE’s strategic plan goals and objectives and provides opportunities for growth .
Education & Experience
- 5-10+ years of fundraising experience, including experience closing major gifts ($10,000+)
- Knowledge and experience in all aspects of philanthropy, including giving trends, benchmarks, and best practices; research; fundraising techniques and strategies; data analytics; and development operations such as gift processing, prospect and donor research, and fundraising reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement comprehensive fundraising strategies that includes a range of funding sources.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to translate complex content to key-decision makers and diverse stakeholders ranging from students and families to high net worth donors
- You exemplify a growth mindset- others describe you as adaptable and comfortable in environments that change rapidly.
- You are deeply motivated by the ACE mission: you believe that all students are capable of gaining the skills and will to succeed in college and beyond.
- Experience working in the education sector preferred, but not required.
Physical Work Environment
This position will begin working remotely, with the flexibility to continue a remote working schedule after it is safe for our office to reopen. Our central office team traditionally works in a small, collaborative office space with standard equipment and tasks. This position requires sitting at a computer for extended periods of time.